Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Answering a cellphone with your voice

  1. #11
    I've tried using bluetooth mics because my speech isn't great with the vent. They seem worse than the inbuilt mic but I can't get phone to a position where I can read it and be close enough for the mic to always hear me. Latest beta doesn't seem much better. We'll see what the final version is like but I am not confident that it'll be reliable, Nuance struggled with Dragon for Mac for years and never got it right. Mouse control via my chair joystick is still the best thing in IOS13 for me although a little difficult on a small phone screen.

  2. #12
    Member Ambisinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Posts
    30
    Currently voice control is not supported with microphones. I thought the same thing when I started by using a Bluetooth mic, it was picking up worse than the built-in mic. I don't think you can even use air pods as a microphone for voice control yet. They will be implementing microphone support soon. Once I realized I needed to directionalize my voice more towards my phone, it improved significantly. It certainly works best in a quiet room, but I've been successful with it lately in a pub environment. I'm usually only on the vent at night, and haven't done much testing while on the vent. I'll give it a try. If I had any hand function to use a joystick, or if I drove my chair with chin drive I would probably be all about mouse control. However, I'm a sip and puff user and mouse control via sip and puff is pretty bad. I've also been having fun with their new head tracking feature. It allows you to move a mouse/pointer with just subtle movements of your head. I don't have quite enough neck movement to make it viable on a daily basis, however I really appreciate the various options for inputs that Apple is offering for people with limited mobility.

    As far as your phone position goes… Do you have it mounted on your chair? RAM Mount is making a lot of great very sturdy options for us. I guess my phone is mounted ~50 cm away from my face, right above my hand on the armrest. I have a fairly quiet voice, maybe my success is just because of the short distance between my mouth and phone.

    Finally, just peeked into your profile and we have a fair amount in common. I was also injured in a cycling accident, and still a huge advocate for the cycling community. I do lots of ridiculously long rides in my chair, my way of continuing bike touring in the way I can. Today was my 1051 consecutive day out on a bike trail. Here's my site/blog if you're interested. https://www.iansride.com/

  3. #13
    I was at a cycle Show last week and played around with voice control on the ipad pro passing time in the hotel lounge. Pad and phone are mounted with a Ram mount same position as you but my support workers held it close to my mouth. It still wasn't reliable, reacting to some commands ignoring others at some points suggesting I use the same phrase I just had! Possibly my accent but as per my previous post Nuance dropped Dragon after years of trying and being unable to get it reliable.

    Sip and puff would be difficult for mouse, tongue control probably the other option or possibly a Now Technologies gyro headset which requires very little head movement and can control a chair.

    I'm still heavily involved in cycling, currently running a brand developing mountain bikes, use a Boma off road wheelchair to get out with riders.Not as much as I would like the job is time consuming and riding is secondary to real work. One on my off road chair if you are interested https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/michael-bonneys-boma-7

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I was at a cycle Show last week and played around with voice control on the ipad pro passing time in the hotel lounge. ...

    I'm still heavily involved in cycling, currently running a brand developing mountain bikes, use a Boma off road wheelchair to get out with riders.Not as much as I would like the job is time consuming and riding is secondary to real work. One on my off road chair if you are interested https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/michael-bonneys-boma-7
    The Equal Adventure site is exciting and I know your involvement will be a Godsend for a few individuals, Michael.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    The Equal Adventure site is exciting and I know your involvement will be a Godsend for a few individuals, Michael.
    I've stopped work with Equal Adventure, they have their own ideas. Weirdly just got approached by another off road wheelchair company this week so might end up doing some work for them

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I've stopped work with Equal Adventure, they have their own ideas. Weirdly just got approached by another off road wheelchair company this week so might end up doing some work for them
    Huh. Well, such things are so common in this world. Ideas often to not mesh and then there are egos to consider. However long relationships endure, I have no doubt your contributions make difference. You are so knowledgeable, I hate to see your brain underutilized.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    Huh. Well, such things are so common in this world. Ideas often to not mesh and then there are egos to consider. However long relationships endure, I have no doubt your contributions make difference. You are so knowledgeable, I hate to see your brain underutilized.
    I try and keep busy with bike projects but it is getting harder, I don't speak as well as I did on the vent and get tired easily. Try and do too much and pay a price, 6 months bed rest for a pressure sore, 10 weeks up and about and it broke down again yesterday. Time to seriously consider what my life/existence really is.

  8. #18
    I used an App on Playstore called Vani for this purpose a while back. But it only allows for voice answering though.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Babadinho View Post
    I used an App on Playstore called Vani for this purpose a while back. But it only allows for voice answering though.
    Does it still answer in speakerphone when you say "Speaker"? My app that answered in speakerphones mode quit working when Android updated a few weeks ago.

  10. #20
    Never mind, I checked for myself and it works. Thanks for the heads up!

Similar Threads

  1. cellphone ?
    By SCIfor55+yrs. in forum Computers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2018, 06:08 AM
  2. Cellphone
    By HACKNSACK44 in forum Computers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 10:30 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2002, 05:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •