Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answering a cellphone with your voice

Answering a cellphone with your voice

I bought a Google Pixel 2 after reading about its voice control.
    I assumed that I could initiate calls and answer them by voice but I can't answer an incoming call without touching the screen.

Anyhow, are there any cellphones or apps that allow you to make and receive calls with your voice?

There is an app for android called Voice Access by Google that claims to do this. I have not tried it, but it is free and might be worth having a look at. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I bought a Google Pixel 2 after reading about its voice control.
    I assumed that I could initiate calls and answer them by voice but I can't answer an incoming call without touching the screen.

Anyhow, are there any cellphones or apps that allow you to make and receive calls with your voice?
    Pixel 2 has voice answer blocked sorry but some headsets like BlueAnt have it avail.

You can make out going calls by setting up Google Assistant and just say "OK Google call Aunt Mary on Speaker phone" and call begins.

Good Luck

Not a lot of help for you with an android, but the new voice control feature in Apple's IOS 13 will allow you to receive calls with your voice. Comes out sometime in September.

I downloaded Vysor which allows me to control the phone with my laptop and since I'm doing bed rest, that solves the problem aside from when I turn everything off and go to sleep.

Blog Entries
    The Motorola Moto Z works very well for answering and initiating calls by voice. I forget now because it’s been a while, but you have to set up carefully – – call them and ask be elevated to level II or III assistants. I had to set up another way, not using the Google stuff. If you have trouble let me know and I will try to find my notes. It announces my call and I say answer, hey [whenever you name your phone] – – call mom – call 800-555-1212 on speakerphone – – call on speakerphone (who do you want to call on speakerphone) – mom

My computer guy is setting up an iPad for me for calls also and something came out Thursday or Friday that will make the voice stuff better. Maybe it’s a new phone OS (iOS?). If you don’t know what I’m trying to say let me know and I’ll ask him.
    Last edited by Random; 09-08-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    My computer guy is setting up an iPad for me for calls also and something came out Thursday or Friday that will make the voice stuff better. Maybe it’s a new phone OS (iOS?). If you don’t know what I’m trying to say let me know and I’ll ask him.
    Yeah, Voice Control comes out on September 19 with the release of IOS 13. Here's the release video, I was stoked to be featured in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqoXFCCTfm4

Quote Originally Posted by Ambisinister View Post
    Yeah, Voice Control comes out on September 19 with the release of IOS 13. Here's the release video, I was stoked to be featured in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqoXFCCTfm4
    Awesome video! I can't wait to try it out. Sounds like there are a lot of commands to learn. Is it similar to Dragon Dictate?

IOS13 voice control is flakey at best, I've almost given up with it until Apple improve it. It is not reliable and sometimes responds and other times does nothing. Battery drains really quickly on both iphone and ipad with it switched on, I've had to fit a USB socket to my chair to keep the phone powered from the chair batteries. I bought a new ipad pro because of the voice control feature and now use it with an R Net mouse module as Apple finally added bluetooth mouse support. Use chair joystick and occasional voice control and it is almost usable. Mouse might be not as usable on a phone.

The most annoying part is if you leave voice control on it'll react to any conversation you are having so you end up switching off and having to use Siri to start it. It just hasn't been thought through fully.

I've had pretty good luck with voice control. There were some issues with the earlier beta versions where response times were slow and a restart would give improvement. Have had no problem with it in the past few weeks though. Battery drain can be a problem, though I'm in a power chair and can pretty much always have my phone plugged in. I just use the "go to sleep" command to make it not engage/listen when I'm having a conversation.Then use "wake up" when needed. Using Siri to turn VC on and off can be useful if you're having power drain issues.

Perhaps I'm biased, but I'm quite impressed with the dictation accuracy and editability, as well as the ease of controlling most all features on my phone with just voice. I'm a C2 complete with only head and neck function and have previously used switch control and Siri to interact with my phone. Voice control is a huge leap forward in my world.