Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yet another Bearing thread

yet another Bearing thread

So just went through a bearing change on my chair. The caster pivots long needed replacement and needed a bearing puller.
    Anyways, I usually buy the cheap front caster wheel bearings R6-2RS on Amazon 10 for 7 bucks. I then pull the seals pack them with grease and good for a short while.
    My question is I'm getting tired of replacing these bearings so often. What do others use or buy from. I have two ways the bearings fail Rust and or packed with dog hair. Yes even sealed they get packed with hair. probably because they are cheap.

So maybe its worth it do buy more expensive bearings and if so what to look for and from who.
    I checked out McMaster-carr and they wanted 17.00 a bearing for sealed stainless steel

Maybe you need to keep the hair off them. Mine last years. When I get stuck waiting in the car, I clean the hair out. The chair's on the passenger seat.
    I assume you're talking castor wheel bearing not stem bearing. Those are 15 years old.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Maybe you need to keep the hair off them. Mine last years. When I get stuck waiting in the car, I clean the hair out. The chair's on the passenger seat.
    I assume you're talking castor wheel bearing not stem bearing. Those are 15 years old.
    Yes Caster bearings.
    keeping the hair off them is easier said than done when you have two goldens retrievers and I vacuum every day (no joke)

Blog Entries
    That's strange to me. I live in a house with 3 other people with long hair and I constantly cut hair out from around the caster axles. Live on the east coast and go to beach often. Shower in my chair every month or so, too. Same bearings for past 11 years.

FYI, sealed bearings aren't supposed to be lubricated, either. That just collects dirt and contaminates and traps them in with the bearing balls. I suspect that is very much contributing to their shortened life span. Keeping them sealed is important. They come with a thin film of grease from the factory and that is all they ever need, becuase the relubing interval is longer than expected life. Adding grease causes issues and wrecks the seals...e.g.

http://mcguirebearing.com/faqs/bearing-relubrication/
    Last edited by Oddity; 07-29-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    Yes Caster bearings.
    keeping the hair off them is easier said than done when you have two goldens retrievers and I vacuum every day (no joke)
    good tweezers and a machinist's scribe-kept in console w/a few allens and basics for out of chair maintenance. If I transfer out to do it at home, I'm always stuck without the damn one I need!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

My Golden Retriever could shed enough hair every day to make a puppy. I replaced my conventional caster forks with Frog Legs Uni Tines and that eliminated most of the problem. The side without a strut gathers no hair and the side with the strut for some reason gathers much much less than the conventional forks did.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    My Golden Retriever could shed enough hair every day to make a puppy. I replaced my conventional caster forks with Frog Legs Uni Tines and that eliminated most of the problem. The side without a strut gathers no hair and the side with the strut for some reason gathers much much less than the conventional forks did.
    I will have to check them out. You understand the hair they produce. I fill my office trash can with hair every week from the roomba They should be bald!

I will second single sided forks to help with hair.

Blog Entries
    If nothing else they are twice (or more) as easy to get casters off. With single sided I find it far easier to take the one bolt out, pull caster off axle, and remove hair in one lump, than cutting or using pliers to tear it out. Easier and quicker.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I used to have the same problem when I had dogs. Since they passed and I don't have any dogs anymore the problem is gone. I love dogs just to much work as you get older. Electric wheelchairs would be much more problems. Miss the dogs though. Wonder if you could make a shield from a thin washer or a piece of plastic might help? Anybody try something like that yet?
    Art