Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yet another Bearing thread

Blog Entries
    There is a product to shield from hair in casters. I think it was Froglegs who made it, but I don't exactly remember. There is a thread or two around here about them.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    There is a product to shield from hair in casters. I think it was Froglegs who made it, but I don't exactly remember. There is a thread or two around here about them.
    Someone on here took the plastic plugs they put in electric conduit, put hole in the middle to put on the casters. I put enough grease in them (good timkins) that keeps most stuff out. BUT a friend of mine has 3 feet long. They clean their casters every week, or else. Uses a roach clip to do it.

Blog Entries
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Yep. I know one guy who got them and said they were working well for him so far.

BTW, Mark Chelgren, FrogLeg's owner was at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games in Louisville a couple of weeks ago. He was showing one of my vets the difference between a FLAHSR and a TiLite soft roll by dropping them and watching the bounce.

I'm not sure if that's scientific proof, but it was convincing enough to convince my vet to buy a pair. He swears the ride is better. Probably placebo effect, but its enough for me to reexamine whether the difference may be significant.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm. Yeah, I dunno what that 'test' reveals. I can't help but think a caster that absorbed impacts, instead of rebounding against them, would feel smoother rolling on the ground. A caster rebounding from impacts is transferring that energy right into the frame vs soaking it up. Just a hypothesis, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Yep. I know one guy who got them and said they were working well for him so far.

BTW, Mark Chelgren, FrogLeg's owner was at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games in Louisville a couple of weeks ago. He was showing one of my vets the difference between a FLAHSR and a TiLite soft roll by dropping them and watching the bounce.

I'm not sure if that's scientific proof, but it was convincing enough to convince my vet to buy a pair. He swears the ride is better. Probably placebo effect, but its enough for me to reexamine whether the difference may be significant.

Hmmmm. Yeah, I dunno what that 'test' reveals. I can't help but think a caster that absorbed impacts, instead of rebounding against them, would feel smoother rolling on the ground. A caster rebounding from impacts is transferring that energy right into the frame vs soaking it up. Just a hypothesis, of course.
    A better bounce means the caster is able to deform, to absorb impact energy, yet quickly resume its original shape so as not to affect rolling resistance.