Thread: Locking up wheelchair when handcycling

Locking up wheelchair when handcycling

Do you lock your wheelchair up if you are out somewhere handcycling? I have taken a chain and padlocked it to my rear bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Do you lock your wheelchair up if you are out somewhere handcycling? I have taken a chain and padlocked it to my rear bumper.
    Yes. We are a two wheeler couple and during our handcycling years would lock one chair outside to bumper, then place 2nd empty chair on our full size van lift and catapult the chair into the van. It was still reachable when we needed to retrieve it. (It was pretty awkward/difficult to try to chain two chairs to the bumper while sitting in handcycle.)

As to some folks who ask the question "should I lock up my chair while handcycling?" I don't want to think about what would happen if some kid took your chair for a joyride.

damn rights. To some asshole/moron/youth it's just a wheelchair. To me it's my life. I had heard a few horror stories (a couple really unbelievable, looking back) while still in rehab. Even at the public swimming pool I am always watching my chair.

At home I lock it in my parkade storage cage where I keep my handcycle when I am out riding. On expeditions I will pop it in the back of my vehicle to keep it away from prying eyes.

But I get the most anxious about losing my chair while flying - waiting to be carried off the airplane. I always worry about some little old lady that doesn't know a thing about wheelchairs hopping in it, thinking it is just another airline chair they can borrow, and getting pushed up the jetway.

gah I would lose my shit... a buddy of mine lost a brand-new TiLite ZR by leaving it in the back-alley while he drove off to buy a pack of smokes at the gas station. Chair was never recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    As to some folks who ask the question "should I lock up my chair while handcycling?" I don't want to think about what would happen if some kid took your chair for a joyride.
    Your post made me think of an old memory...
    Years ago when my now grown son played in a church run basketball league / team I would give him a quick ride over to practice in the evening. It only took a few minutes to jump in car and come back home. I would drop him off and then pick up in two hours or so. It is a quiet and safe neighborhood and rather then load my chair in for a ten minute round trip each time I’d leave it on grass beside driveway. In the interest of “ not leading anyone into temptation “ I would pop one wheel off and throw in back seat. It was winter/autumn and dark outside.

One time my neighbor diagonal across the street saw the one wheeled chair sitting lonesome beside the driveway and told his wife with concern, “I think Paul forgot his wheelchair.”

She had a good sense of humor and got a kick out of telling the story...

Back to the thread, agree with Triumph, do something to secure or make less attractive for someone to ride off in.