Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Small Wound Healed

Getting Small Wound Healed

After going 9 years without a skin breakdown/wound I?m writing this post from bed as I try to get a somewhat stubborn small wound to heal. After reviewing the staging standards we believe it’s a stage 1 but if’s not easy to gauge as the skin on my butt where the world is wants to fold a bit when I?m on my side (there are also old scars there from 2 old wound closure & flap surgeries). The wound doesn?t seem to have much if any depth & is blanchable

We did try using aqua cell and then promogran especially after the word seemed more raw but I am concerned since reading a post on this forum where a nurse said...DO NOT use wet dressings on Stage 1 wounds...it can make the wound worse.. Now we are keeping the area clean with the wound spray and covering it with a gauze pad to see how it looks after 12 hours or so.
    On Monday I’ll try to get in to see my primary Dr to get the needed referral for a local wound care clinic

It’s been so long since I had a wound I’m really not as good at treating these problems as I used to be. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?
    Last edited by KyleP2112; 07-27-2019 at 11:09 PM.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Stick some honey on it. The medi honey is suppose to be the best, but I don't see any difference in others I've tried. I've used silver too. Seems to work, but turns my skin black. If none of those interest you put some kind of antibiotic on it until you get to the doc.

I’ve heard of people using honey on some wounds. Just really need this one to clear up so I can work and not be stuck in bed… Got bills to pay

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

IUnfortunately after looking at the staging standards it really looks like The wound I have is much more of a Stage 2 since the skin is broken at the wound site. Could really use suggestions on how to treat this until I can get to a doctor and wound care clinic
    Thanks
    Last edited by KyleP2112; 07-27-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    IUnfortunately after looking at the staging standards it really looks like The wound I have is much more of a Stage 2 since the skin is broken at the wound site. Could really use suggestions on how to treat this until I can get to a doctor and wound care clinic
    Thanks
    Keep it clean and dry. Keep all pressure, all pressure off of it all of the time.

The more you are up on it, the worse it will get, and the longer it will take to heal.

Up your protein intake. Protein helps to heal wounds. Stay hydrated.

When do you think you can get to a wound care doctor? If you don't see getting in to a wound care doctor, your only option may be to get to an ER.

I do not recommend honey on a wound that you sit on. Anytime you have an old wound with scarring and pressure to that area you are at risk for re-opening the area. Did the wound heal on its own? or was it surgically closed previously? How big is the opening of the wound?

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Honestly I would see a wound care doctor regardless how good you are at healing it yourself. It’s not worth things getting worst or infected and they always have new things to help heal.. save yourself the trouble and see a wound care doctor. But if you really don’t I have a lot of wound care supplies I could help with thst will be good

Also try prisma and acuacell to help if leaking if so. But definitely look into better bandages like meoalex or similar. A good bandage will help a lot and keep things clean

You may have a stick coming to the surface. I had one come threw after 15 years after I had my one and only flap. It would act up once in awhile. Last time I felt something and pulled a stich out and it never bothered me again. Wierd
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I do not recommend honey on a wound that you sit on. Anytime you have an old wound with scarring and pressure to that area you are at risk for re-opening the area. Did the wound heal on its own? or was it surgically closed previously? How big is the opening of the wound?

pbr
    Yesterday the wound measured about an inch across but it was hard to measure as the skin there wants to fold over and it’s self a little. Thanks to the help of my fiance who has lots and lots of experience caring for wounds in the medical/nursing field I have had a lot of healing. The wound is just about closed now but since it’s an area where I’ve had 2 flap surgeries, one in 1998, the other in about 2003 and 2 wound closing surgeries , The last one in 2010, I should definitely get the area checked out. I need to also get pressure mapping since all my wound problems have been on my right hip side.
    Staying off the area for the last two days made all the difference. We’ve also been using Promogran with the aqua cell and have had wound cleaning spray to use.