Thread: Issues with suprapubic catheter

Issues with suprapubic catheter

I'm hoping somebody in my position will be able to empathise with me. I am a C5 tetraplegic. I've now been in a wheelchair since 1986.

I've had a suprapubic catheter since 2009. Nowadays, I'm finding that I can only go a maximum of three weeks before I start bypassing, or it blocks completely and I have to have it changed. I was talking to a district nurse recently and she was telling me that they have developed another type of catheter that has a different design that doesn't block so easily. This is something I need to look into. Anyway, I know when I'm having a bowel movement because I get this sensation running from my head through my neck endowments. However, I also get the same feeling when I bypass through the penis. When I had external condom drainage the feeling was the same as well. When I experience this sensation I know something is wrong and either the catheter completely blocks or it doesn't drain well at all. However, in the last couple of days, I've been getting this intense sensation but I've been draining through the catheter perfectly okay. I have been bypassing slightly once in bed though. I don't tend to bypass when sitting in my chair unless the blockage isn't cleared for a while. I just don't know what's going on today. I'm getting this intense feeling, especially if I have a large drink. However, the bag fills up really quickly so the cath can't be blocked.

Has anyone else have the same experience and if so have you worked out why it happens?

I've had an SPC about the same amount of time. I was having the same issue until I had a cyscostomy done and after that for some reason I can go an easy 6 weeks between changes. You probably have a lot of junk accumilated in your bladder. I do drink a lot of water, and no soda.

have you had them look for stones I got issues right nowe that I have never had ggod luck

sounds like you need to see your urologist for a cystoscopy

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.