Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A memoir by a woman paralyzed by Polio - lets it all hang out!

A memoir by a woman paralyzed by Polio - lets it all hang out!

I'm halfway through this book, Such a Pretty Girl by Nadina LaSpina (alert - there are a couple of other books with this title), and wish I could be in a discussion group of disabled women as it's dealing with so many issues confronting a woman with paralysis - she and her family seem to focus on her walking with braces and crutches - it seems obvious to me she needs a wheelchair to get around. I'm only halfway through the book and she's already broken bones in her legs from several falls while "walking".
    I've experienced so many things she writes about - I'm Polio paralyzed, a wheelchair user, who was taught to "walk" with braces and crutches, but with paralysis from high thoracic level, I never became proficient enough to use them for daily life. LaSpina had some muscle transplants so she was apparently able to get around, but I'm aghast at the broken bones she endured to continue using the braces.

I loved her discussion of being invisible to the opposite sex and how she struggled through her teen years. Her and her close wheeler girlfriend would go to clubs (in their wheelchairs) and flirt, often to no avail.
    In Sicily until about age 12, she's damaged goods - 'such a pretty girl' the neighbors lament, with the unspoken message 'no man will want her'.
    She struggles with being disabled, then discovers the disability rights movement and begins to accept herself as different, but strong and ok.

The writing style is painfully honest, a riveting read.

I’m going to look for this book.
    Thanks for sharing.
    jl
    Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Head Injury, Chronic Pain Disorder

I'm going to look for it, too. Thanks, triumph.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

It's on Amazon. When I looked for it a couple of weeks ago it was on pre-order, for $5 discount, as it was only days away from publication. This is a book that should definitely be ordered by a library.

Hope you'll make comments if you decide to read it.

It's on my wishlist and there are already used copies available (quite reasonably priced). I'll probably go ahead and order it and will report back if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    It's on my wishlist and there are already used copies available (quite reasonably priced). I'll probably go ahead and order it and will report back if I do.
    Hope you do. I'm pages away from finishing it and an old friend has asked me to do a review for an online site. May try it.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    ...an old friend has asked me to do a review for an online site. May try it.
    If you do, I'd love to read your review.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    If you do, I'd love to read your review.
    My review is on Facebook site The Heumann Perspective - it's located under "posts". Don't think anyone's found it though.

Thanks, I found the FB site - glad it's public.

Just wondering if anyone has comments about this memoir. I watched an interview of the author on YouTube, but I heard there's also one done by PBS but I haven't found it. I think that one was broadcast about a week or two ago.