I'm halfway through this book, Such a Pretty Girl by Nadina LaSpina (alert - there are a couple of other books with this title), and wish I could be in a discussion group of disabled women as it's dealing with so many issues confronting a woman with paralysis - she and her family seem to focus on her walking with braces and crutches - it seems obvious to me she needs a wheelchair to get around. I'm only halfway through the book and she's already broken bones in her legs from several falls while "walking".
I've experienced so many things she writes about - I'm Polio paralyzed, a wheelchair user, who was taught to "walk" with braces and crutches, but with paralysis from high thoracic level, I never became proficient enough to use them for daily life. LaSpina had some muscle transplants so she was apparently able to get around, but I'm aghast at the broken bones she endured to continue using the braces.

I loved her discussion of being invisible to the opposite sex and how she struggled through her teen years. Her and her close wheeler girlfriend would go to clubs (in their wheelchairs) and flirt, often to no avail.
In Sicily until about age 12, she's damaged goods - 'such a pretty girl' the neighbors lament, with the unspoken message 'no man will want her'.
She struggles with being disabled, then discovers the disability rights movement and begins to accept herself as different, but strong and ok.

The writing style is painfully honest, a riveting read.