Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Get a free Google Mini hub

Get a free Google Mini hub

Google partnered with the Reeve Foundation to offer 100,000 free Google mini hubs in celebration of the ADA anniversary. it's easy to apply.

A voice is a powerful thing. For individuals living with paralysis, it can be their greatest asset.
    That's why the Reeve Foundation is proud to announce a partnership with Google Nest to provide up to 100,000 FREE Google Home Minis to individuals living with paralysis and their caregivers in honor of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) which is celebrating its 29th anniversary today. This is the biggest tech give-away to the paralysis community ever!
    Cut and paste the below link into your browser

https://googlenest.reevefoundation.o...eid=234b00baa3

Get your free Google Home Mini courtesy of the Reeve Foundation!

We live in a world where technology has unlocked unforeseen possibilities. However, even the best ideas can gather dust unless the right partners?community and industry?work together to bring them to life.

Today, in celebration of the anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation has joined forces with Google Nest to improve independence at home by providing up to 100,000 free Google Home Minis to individuals living with paralysis and their caregivers.

https://googlenest.reevefoundation.o...34XtmLSXWcVMxs

Yeah, I got one on the way.
    Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Yeah, I got one on the way.
    Thanks a lot.
    Awesome! I can't for mine to arrive.

Google has admitted they listen in on these devices, and now they Wil have 100k disabled people to track. Yes these are great devices for many just be aware of them. Who is offering this great deal! To the Reeves foundation?

Yes Lavender lady how do you think they continue improving voice recognition?

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    Yes Lavender lady how do you think they continue improving voice recognition?
    I would trust not by listening in on our conversations uninvited or copying our contacts as Google does.

i dont see how to get it i hit im eligible but nothing happens just goes back to the page oh it says they all been claimed
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

That surprises me. Can you try on a different computer? My effort did not work at first, when I clicked on the PayPal option. I went back later, they still hd my order in a cart, and when I offered a credit card number it went through.

As to being listened to, the critical element of this, in my opinion, is that regulations be passed protecting that information from "back door" access by law enforcement. If regulation does not catch up with technology we are doomed to an ever more pervasive culture of social control. For now I will not concern myself with who hears whatever conversation occurs in my bedroom, which is never more than, "Hubby, can you come in and reach something for me?"

You have pretty extensive control over the privacy settings for all the google home devices. The settings are way easier to find and manipulate than the privacy settings within, for example, Facebook, and you can also go in and delete your history and/or change accesses at any time. Basically any company training devices to respond to people needs a huge supply of data so that they can continually improve the product’s accuracy and responsiveness. As long the recordings are fully anonymized, it’s a defensible practice based on product development and business needs.

Google did get a little shamed into improving their privacy and security practices by Tim Cook calling out the social media/ad sales/device sales tech companies on invasion of privacy. Google has made improvements and their CEO has spoken about the need to enhance and respect user privacy. Apple, meanwhile, just got some attention for *not* anonymizing Siri recordings, thus leaving contractors listening to recordings able to identify users who had placed 911 calls. There are folks who leave their phone in one room and go into another wearing airbuds and are able to overhear everything that takes place in the room with the phone - that’s considered a feature, btw. Using the voice recognition function on a smart tv can result in all conversations in range being recorded by manufacturer servers and the data extracted being sold to advertisers, and by unboxing the tv you have consented.

If you use modern technology, especially (highly convenient) integrated platforms, the development costs were to some extent subsidized by the collection and sale of personal data. You have to evaluate what the service is worth to you and how you can control your data - and be honest with yourself about whether you will go in and modify those settings and then pick your battles.