Thread: betadine instillation

betadine instillation

My usual urologist (not a neuro-urologist) was uncomfortable writing a gentamicin Rx for an instillation protocol. He referred me to a partner at the practice who is a neuro-urologist and who does my Botox every year. He was unconvinced as to its efficacy. He said he had a few patients but his experience left him unmoved. I didn't press him to ask him for the RX regardless of his experience. Perhaps I should have.

Both urologists mentioned instillation of Betadine. Has anybody heard of this or done it? The neuro-urologist said to put it in full strength (really?) and then let it run out. There was scant information available on the Internet. What I did see mentioned 50 mL of 2%. I'm leery about this. The Betadine that we buy comes in various strengths including 10%. That is quite different than 2%.

I really was hoping they would write me the RX and let me do a three month trial.

It certainly would be inexpensive.

I think it is time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I think it is time...
    ...to find a new Urologist.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    ...to find a new Urologist.
    Betadine sounds a little harsh but I have neither researched it nor heard of anyone instilling.

For the past 12-15 years, I have been using: "neomycin/polymyxin b sulfates SOL 40/ML IR", a generic Neosporin bladder irrigant.

I have also used Gentamycin, my urologist decided to switch up for a few months to keep me from becoming resistant to the above med. Both are a bit of work but have been well worth the benefits for me.

I do intermittent cath. At about 25 years post-SCI my bladder started kicking in with frequent infections. irrigation -installation has made a world of difference.

Just my opinion but if your urologist isn't familiar with the practice or medications.
    I would consider taking some alternative actions.
    Good luck.

Bob Vogel has written at least three articles about this practice that I am aware of, in "New Mobility", here's an older one:
    http://www.newmobility.com/2011/04/neosporin-gu/

here is a 2015 article on the topic:
    http://newmobility.com/2015/12/bladd...ant-solutions/

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I dunno about the betadine either, but being unwilling to prescribe Gent based on a couple of his anecdotal experiences over the evidence based medical research on the subject is a red flag for me.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

A clinical trial for Betadine instillation was cancelled due to lack of enrollment fairly recently. Which - if clinicians can’t get folks having multiple UTIs to enroll, leads me to have doubts about clinician confidence in the potential treatment.

agreed, time for a new doc..............
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yeah, I dunno about the betadine either, but being unwilling to prescribe Gent based on a couple of his anecdotal experiences over the evidence based medical research on the subject is a red flag for me.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My advice is not to instill betadine into your bladder. It is harsh to tissues and could cause an inflammatory reaction.

I echo the sentiment above - time for a second opinion.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.