Thread: manual wheelchair tire alternatives

manual wheelchair tire alternatives

Anyone use something other than the usual suspects? ie. Marathon, RightRun, Kontender, etc.

I've been using slightly larger tires than standard for the past 6 weeks. They are https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-K-193-C...8-6&th=1&psc=1 called Kenda Kwest in a 26 x 1.25" size (32-559)

Being summer I have about 50 miles on them already and they are holding up really well. Yes they are wider and noticeably taller, but I like them a lot. Rated to 100psi, they roll hard and fast. I had been using RightRuns but the grey portions of the "tread" always looked dirty. While the Kwest's have channels on the tread they don't trap dirt and fine gravel. I went looking to find a link on the manufacturer website, but can't seem to find them there.. I hope they aren't discontinued.

I ordered another pair today - they list for $22.66 / tire as of today on Amazon.com

What other "non-standard" tires have y'all tried?

Do those black tires mark up your house floor? My tailwind wheelchair came with black tires and they are horrible about leaving black streaks everywhere I go.

I got a pair of these 90 pound pressure tires. They may not be considered non standard, but it looked to me like they might be easier to clean dirt out of the tread before coming in the house. I no longer can switch chairs in the garage due to progressing paralysis.
    https://www.indemedical.com/Primo-X-...40_p_1276.html
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-26-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added link
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I use Kenda 24 x 1.375 in yard. but I use Shin 24 x 1.95 out in the pasture. And R/R everywhere else.

I ordered a pair of 1.5x24 and will see how they are.

How difficult are they to mount?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Blog Entries
    My stock TiLite Shadow wheels came with Primo Passage 100psi tires. Very inexpensive and seem to be a decent compromise on price, tread, and pressure. (And those Shadow wheels are lighter than Spinergy LX wheels!).
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

as I live alone and out about I have solid tires no flats I have a tilite

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    as I live alone and out about I have solid tires no flats I have a tilite
    Which solid tire are you using? I am awaiting my new Tilite TR3 and I selected a stock slick Primo solid tire. My chair is mostly for indoor use because the terrain here is gravel and rough asphalt and my SmartDrive power assist can’t handle it unfortunately (I tried it on my existing manual chair outside).
    I have a power chair for outdoor navigation which is great on any terrain.
    I’m wanting input on other solid tires for the TR3 in case these aren’t great and for future replacements.
    Thanks.
    jl
    Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Head Injury, Chronic Pain Disorder

Blog Entries
    I put a set of Shox 110psi (simulated hardness) on a beater chair I flew to Hawaii with years ago. Didn't want to deal with a flat on vacation. They were nice, for a while. Had to heat them (hot bath water) to stretch them on without the special tool for mounting solids. Left them on for a while after, but once they wore a bit they became like sponges. Soaked up any moisture I rolled through then deposited it as a track everywhere I rolled. If you can't change a flat, or just don't want to, they work OK. Less than ideal for multiple reasons, mostly they're a compromise on rolling resistance, ease of mounting, and longevity in exchange for never having a flat. I prefer puncture resistant 145psi tires which have served me well (10+ years no flats) without the compromises.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Do those black tires mark up your house floor? My tailwind wheelchair came with black tires and they are horrible about leaving black streaks everywhere I go.
    as they are bicycle tires I was worried about this, but no marking! (I wouldn't advise about them if they did)

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I ordered a pair of 1.5x24 and will see how they are.

How difficult are they to mount?
    Very easy to mount, similar to a mountain-bike tire. I imagine the 1.5" wide version will just fall onto the rim. Very firm when fully-inflated though.
    So far each individual tire has come in its own box, un-folded - I don't even know if they are wire-beaded or not, but the 4 I have gotten haven't been warped from improper storage (like a lot of RightRuns I buy for wc-rugby). Great tire, if you can handle the extra girth (I personally like it)