Thread: gardening tool

gardening tool

Recently had a small perennial garden put in. The landscaper put in about 7 plants and said they will thrive better if I trim any spent flowers/leaves. If I could figure out how to put a photo here I'd love to show it off, it's beautiful. It's a gift my husband and I are giving to ourselves - no longer able to take vacations/trips.
    But.......I can't reach to trim the inner plants and I'm googling the internet and amazon for a tool, maybe about 3 to 4 feet long with a clipper at the end. One-hand use would be best as the other hand will stabilize me in my chair. Also, it needs to be light weight.

I'm running out of options and thinking I need to try adding a small clipper to the end of one of my 3' reachers. I'd really like to try doing the upkeep myself.

Any suggestions?

I have one I love that I use for my roses that might work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000K...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quadtools.com make some great reachers specialized for different purposes. This is their garden tool.

https://quadtools.com/products/the-q...-garden-shears

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Recently had a small perennial garden put in. The landscaper put in about 7 plants and said they will thrive better if I trim any spent flowers/leaves. If I could figure out how to put a photo here I'd love to show it off, it's beautiful. It's a gift my husband and I are giving to ourselves - no longer able to take vacations/trips.
    But.......I can't reach to trim the inner plants and I'm googling the internet and amazon for a tool, maybe about 3 to 4 feet long with a clipper at the end. One-hand use would be best as the other hand will stabilize me in my chair. Also, it needs to be light weight.

I'm running out of options and thinking I need to try adding a small clipper to the end of one of my 3' reachers. I'd really like to try doing the upkeep myself.

Any suggestions?
    Oh my goodness! That's exactly what I have been searching for!. I have many tall flowers that I need to deadhead and just can't reach. I also need something one-handed since I need to balance with the other hand. I was just getting ready to ask my husband if he could rig up something that would work. I do wonder how the one on Amazon would work. 1.5 pounds sounds good. The other one is too expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Oh my goodness! That's exactly what I have been searching for!. I have many tall flowers that I need to deadhead and just can't reach. I also need something one-handed since I need to balance with the other hand. I was just getting ready to ask my husband if he could rig up something that would work. I do wonder how the one on Amazon would work. 1.5 pounds sounds good. The other one is too expensive for me.
    The clipper KLD posted looks good. I currently deadhead and prune my roses by pulling canes toward me with grabber and cutting with a pair of Corona clippers I have had for years. I have been very happy with the quality of Corona clippers and they are the same manufacturer as the ones posted... tempting.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 07-27-2019 at 12:16 AM. Reason: ETA / typo

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
    The one KLD posted may work for me. I watched the video at the amazon site showing garden care and noticed a lightweight, flexible garden bucket that looks like a great thing to tote around - I have used garbage bags that flutter around.

This garden maintenance is starting to look really workable. I think it will be great exercise too.

Got the Corona clipper tool yesterday from Amazon. Have not tried it yet but it looks like it will work. When not in use you can lock the blade shut, using a little lever on the handle. It's light but not super-light - if I need to I can rest it on the armrest of my ZX1 while clipping. I'll also carry a small reacher to pick stuff up. The flexible garden bucket may be too awkward to carry so I'll stick with a paper or plastic bag.

I got mine yesterday, love It, worked great on dead heading and pruning. This is going to make gardening so much easier. Thank you for the info on this

I used the Corona tool yesterday and really got carried away. After deadheading in my new garden I moved on to a maroon colored hedge that had big green leaves growing in the middle.....off they went. This tool will let you clamp on and hold something if you want to pull the tool toward your hand or trash to dispose of it.
    I keep the lock lever on when not using as that blade is quite sharp. It will certainly cut/prune small tree branches.