Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxybutynin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Been checked no UTI. Wasn't convinced it is Oxyb either but not sure what else it could be. Normally can hold 400cc in bladder with no issue and no idea it is full. Then all of a sudden I can tell the spasms are beginning because I feel like I am about to pee my pants and cannot hold anything.
    have you had a urodynamic test done? The one where they fill your bladder to test the volume.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Here's an odd data point: Oxybutynin works for me UNLESS I take turmeric supplements. Turmeric seems to consistently lead to bladder spasms when on Oxybutynin.
    Haven't had the guts to try turmeric on botox...
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Has anyone been on Oxybutynin for a long time and then have it become ineffective?
    I've been getting Botox injections for about the past 11 years and as I've commented here in countless posts it has proven to be the single greatest quality of life enhancing change to my SCI life. Prior to Botox, I was taking oxybutynin -- first orally (and at increasingly high doses, above what's recommended in the PDR) and when that became ineffective, I started to dissolve the tablets in saline solution and instill it directly into my bladder. Instilling oxy enhanced its effectiveness and essentially eliminated the systemic side effects. However, it was still not a match for my particular neurogenic bladder and I continued to have accidents. Botox saved the day.

Blog Entries
    I used Botox for a few years after participating in the final phase clinical trial. My final Botox procedure only lasted ~2 months, while my first last ~10. (300 units)

Just wasnt worth the expense and hassle so often after that. Maybe I should try again. It was life changingly positive for a while.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I've been getting Botox injections for about the past 11 years and as I've commented here in countless posts it has proven to be the single greatest quality of life enhancing change to my SCI life. Prior to Botox, I was taking oxybutynin -- first orally (and at increasingly high doses, above what's recommended in the PDR) and when that became ineffective, I started to dissolve the tablets in saline solution and instill it directly into my bladder. Instilling oxy enhanced its effectiveness and essentially eliminated the systemic side effects. However, it was still not a match for my particular neurogenic bladder and I continued to have accidents. Botox saved the day.
    How many cc's of Botox do you have injected and how long does it last for you? Do you take any bladder meds in addition to the Botox?

I used to have 200cc's injected but it only lasted 1 1/2 - 2 months. If I took oxybutinin as well, I could go 9-12 months between Botox injections. But the side effects of the meds weren't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    How many cc's of Botox do you have injected and how long does it last for you? Do you take any bladder meds in addition to the Botox?

I used to have 200cc's injected but it only lasted 1 1/2 - 2 months. If I took oxybutinin as well, I could go 9-12 months between Botox injections. But the side effects of the meds weren't worth it.
    I was in the trial arm that received 300 units and have continued with that dose. My understanding from the clinical trial results was that 300 units did NOT prove more therapeutic than 200 units. That said, I'm sticking with 300. I get retreated annually but have gone as long as 18 months. I don't take any additional bladder meds. Alas, every neurogenic bladder is different so experimentation is a must.

I'm fortunate that my new job's insurance covers Botox. Mine lasts about 5-6 months, but I don't know how many units he's using.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

lemons cause me problems. i can't drink water with lemon or anything with too much citrus, like mixed drinks with sour mix. guaranteed to cause me to start pissing myself.

Blog Entries
    Medicare covers up to 300u of Botox every 90 days at 80%. Not too bad. The only Urologist I've ever used, and trust completely, doesn't accept assignment .

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I'm fortunate that my new job's insurance covers Botox. Mine lasts about 5-6 months, but I don't know how many units he's using.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

can you provide link or name of study would like to discuss with my uro

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Long term use of anticholinergic can effect memory overtime new finding in medical journal recently published
    pbr