Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caster Locks

Caster Locks

I have Quickie GPV, been using a GPV for many years and very happy with it. I've recently started thinking about adding some type of front caster brake/lock for more stability during transfers. Quickie does have a front pin lock assemble for the GPV but before I commit to this I was curious if anyone has come up with any alternative methods for stabilizing the front casters.

Never know till ya ask,

Thanks

I have the Quickie caster lock. Not sure if I have a "GPV", it's a standard Quickie manual. It definitely helps with transfers! That and a tapered footrest.

The only disadvantage is that the wheels have to be aligned just so; you have to verify the caster lock is engaged. Also my caster locks only last a couple of years, but that is probably because I shower in the chair and get soap over everything. Still, I find the caster locks very helpful.

Look at this page. Ki seems to be making them.
    https://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/...ster-pin-locks
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Wheel lock users be aware!

Those Quickie caster locks are very dangerous. My first 'chair out of hospital was a Quickie with caster locks. I have a deck and ramp on my house at the time. It was deck, ramp decline, flat, ramp decline then driveway.

One day I was going down my ramp by gravity and that caster lock decided to engage in the slot on my left side causing my 'chair to do a quick left turn into the hand railing catapulting me up and over the railing. My rear tires lifted about 8 inches from the decline and I grabbed the hand railing from going over. It came on unexpectedly. After that I called my dad to take off my front casters and removed the round ring and pin assembly.

I am not sure where you are transferring to but a little wedge behind the casters will prevent your 'chair from rolling away. Another option if you are transferring to bed a small bungee cord wrapped around the front vertical post of the frame and wrapped around the handle of the mattress.

But user be aware!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Those Quickie caster locks are very dangerous. My first 'chair out of hospital was a Quickie with caster locks. I have a deck and ramp on my house at the time. It was deck, ramp decline, flat, ramp decline then driveway.

One day I was going down my ramp by gravity and that caster lock decided to engage in the slot on my left side causing my 'chair to do a quick left turn into the hand railing catapulting me up and over the railing. My rear tires lifted about 8 inches from the decline and I grabbed the hand railing from going over. It came on unexpectedly. After that I called my dad to take off my front casters and removed the round ring and pin assembly.

I am not sure where you are transferring to but a little wedge behind the casters will prevent your 'chair from rolling away. Another option if you are transferring to bed a small bungee cord wrapped around the front vertical post of the frame and wrapped around the handle of the mattress.

But user be aware!

Ti
    I would have taken those off too. Did they look exactly like Ki's? It looks like those (Ki's) you have to push down to lock.
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-23-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Glad to hear the Quickie lock works well for you. I saw the Ki lock when I was searching the web. It looks very simular to the Quickie design. I don't think you push it down, looks like a spring pops it down when the pin is rotated. Thanks for the tip about the lock engaging by itself.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Glad to hear the Quickie lock works well for you. I saw the Ki lock when I was searching the web. It looks very simular to the Quickie design. I don't think you push it down, looks like a spring pops it down when the pin is rotated. Thanks for the tip about the lock engaging by itself.

Thanks for the replies.

This is the Quickie I found just now: https://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/...ster-pin-locks
    It also appears to me to be a push down against a spring to lock. But with either of these I can see how the spring could get weak, broken due to rust. I can not tell if there is a safe harbor for the lever so that it will not accidentally rotate from it's non locked position. These are just things to think about. I too use a GPV that slips on me when I transfer to my stair elevator.

I have never heard of caster locks. Is this mainly if you have scissor locks on your rear wheels that can slip, as opposed to hub locks? Anytime my caster moved during a transfer (I have D's locks) it was because it was lifted off the ground slightly, which a caster lock wouldn't help with. When would you need this?

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Look at this page. Ki seems to be making them.
    https://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/...ster-pin-locks
    These were the caster locks on my Quickie. As I remember they are spring loaded and that is why when I was picket fencing down the ramp it engaged sending me into my hand railing.

Now my shower chair has a very nice set of locking casters. The shower chair is a Raz-SP. Search their web site. They are not very attractive but they do work very well.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I had the caster locks on my Quickie for awhile. They were a little bit of a PITA to use as noted in some of the other posts plus they are just one more thing you have to tend to during maintenance. I haven't used them in years and just stay in the habit of making sure I back up a little in my chair to get the casters turned so that the trailing link is facing forward before transferring. That little bit of stability along with locked brakes is about all you need for safe transfers.