Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caster Locks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    I have never heard of caster locks. Is this mainly if you have scissor locks on your rear wheels that can slip, as opposed to hub locks? Anytime my caster moved during a transfer (I have D's locks) it was because it was lifted off the ground slightly, which a caster lock wouldn't help with. When would you need this?
    They don't keep the caster from turning, they lock the caster in a straight position and keep the front of the chair from moving side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
    I had the caster locks on my Quickie for awhile. They were a little bit of a PITA to use as noted in some of the other posts plus they are just one more thing you have to tend to during maintenance. I haven't used them in years and just stay in the habit of making sure I back up a little in my chair to get the casters turned so that the trailing link is facing forward before transferring. That little bit of stability along with locked brakes is about all you need for safe transfers.
    I'll give it a try and see if rotating the casters forward helps stability.

It's funny, for forty years I never even had brakes on my chair. But after a certain age you start looking for every little trick in the book so you don't end up on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    It's funny, for forty years I never even had brakes on my chair. But after a certain age you start looking for every little trick in the book so you don't end up on the floor.
    Ain't that the truth?.....