Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schwalbe Right Runs disintegrating

Schwalbe Right Runs disintegrating

Has something happened to Schwalbe tire quality? This is the second pair of Right Runs I've had on since March, and both pairs have disintegrated alarmingly.

Hello Katja.
    What pressure are you running? Any indication on the side walls? What surface are you running on? Is the deterioration over the whole derimeter of the tyre or just a specific area? Maybe you have passed over/through a chemical ??

I do not have problems with my Right Runs (yet).
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-18-2019 at 08:48 PM.

I inflate my tires to 110 psi, the spec is 145 psi max. I'm not sure what you're asking about in terms of surface - I'm a full time wheelchair user and the chair goes everywhere with me. I'm not suddenly out pushing 20 more miles a day than I used to. Right now it's just the one area, but yellow is starting to bleed through elsewhere. The previous set of tires exhibited the same accelerated wear patterns.

If it helps, I've been using Schwalbe Marathons and Right Runs for probably 15 years or more, and while I don't expect Right Runs to last as long as Marathons, I've never seen them fall apart this quickly.

I wonder if it is a change in quality. I had problem with a fairly new 8 inch pneumatic Pr1mo tire which bulged and popped off the wheel. I switched brands.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I inflate my tires to 110 psi, the spec is 145 psi max. I'm not sure what you're asking about in terms of surface - I'm a full time wheelchair user and the chair goes everywhere with me. ......
    I too run 110-115 psi (I cannot get my compressor to deliver more)
    I was considering that maybe a floor surface cleaner (caustic based or similar) or such, was having a detrimental effect on the tyre surface .
    Maybe a bad batch? Maybe Chinese counterfeit?
    I am interested if you have you enquired with Schwalbe and what their response was?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-18-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I am interested if you have you enquired with Schwalbe and what their response was?
    I have not. I bought one set of the tires from SportAid and the other from Motion Composites. I'll give Schwalbe a call in the morning - but honestly, I'll be surprised if I get anything other than a run-around.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I have not. I bought one set of the tires from SportAid and the other from Motion Composites. I'll give Schwalbe a call in the morning - but honestly, I'll be surprised if I get anything other than a run-around.
    They used to be phone friendly. It looks like this is the route now: https://www.schwalbetires.com/company/warranty_policy
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    They used to be phone friendly. It looks like this is the route now: https://www.schwalbetires.com/company/warranty_policy
    Thanks, nonoise!

I used Right Runs exclusively until 2015. Since then I have had three tire failures and have switched to Marathon Plus with no more problems.

I had one blowout and two tires kept popping off the rims (Spinergy rims)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    T4 complete since 30 April 2012

Blog Entries
    Huh. I sure hope quality hasn't changed. I bought 2 sets about 5-6 years ago and am still on the first. I'm notoriously easy on tires. I dunno why. I have 2 chairs, maybe that's why. They each get ~half the miles. FWIW, literally the day before my new chair was delivered, one of the Marathons on my old chair, 11 years old nearly to the day, finally gave out. The rubber has dry rotted so bad the bead for the seam just crumbled. 11 years and only one tube replaced. Color me impressed.

I have handled newer Marathons (but not Right runs) and they're definitely not the exact same compound. Texture and density both seem different to me. Look at the tread on my Marathon. That tire was put on in July of 2008 and used daily. It's still got tread despite the bead blowout. I wouldn't be surprised if they realized they did not sell enough tires with the original car tire rubber compound.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments