Thread: >>> Experience w air fluidized bed, esp HydroAire?

>>> Experience w air fluidized bed, esp HydroAire?

Hi there.

BACKGROUND:

Stage 4 sacral wound, 3+ yrs, wound clinic, low air loss, alt pressure, vac, ideal nutrition, repositioning, etc, everything tried. Improvement in first year, then stalled. Infection free for last 10 months.

Functional quadriplegia from severe neuromuscular disorder. Wound from pelvic spasms while sitting on wheelchair seat that former Personal Care Aid put in wrong (with hard spot that should have been between knees put at sacrum, ouch, sigh) not from LACK of movement (but from too much = shear). Now have ROHO seat in chair and micromanagment of PCAs!

QUESTIONS:

-->> Is it worth trying the HydroAire AFT ("air fluidized bed)?

-->> Concerns about pulmonary risks?

-->> Comparison with Clinitron?

-->> Grateful to those who can share +/- experience.

Welcome all comments!

How do you know infection free? WAs a bone biopsy done? Most likely osteomyelitis and needs IV abxc. tx for minimally 6 weeks then if not healing then flap most likely needed.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I did the same three years. This could have been over with for you two and a half years ago. Go in get it done and be done with it. I had to have it done twice with a close third due to an abscess under the wound. I insisted on a catscan just before they were going to release me from the hosp.. I think it was the reason for the first failure. It showed the abscess. Two weeks later I was released and haven't had any problems since.

Get the surgery, spend the 6 weeks or so in the Clinitron and be done with it. You've suffered enough. It's not going to heal on it's own as shown by three years of misery. The six weeks in the Clinitron goes by quickly.