Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I get stimulite type cushion material?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can I get stimulite type cushion material?

Like just the honeycomb type material, I need a strip about 14" x maybe 4".

Unless one of you all has a better idea. Here's what I'm trying to do.

I have a Tilite ZRA and I am getting a new chair with the same specs as my old one (just a TRA this time to see what the box frame is about), and I like everything about it, except the posts of the backrest jab me in my ribs. I'm a six foot dude and my chair is 13" wide, which means the area between the back rest posts (currently set at 16" high) is maybe 11". Needless to say, my body including my ribs is wider than this. So I end up spending much of my day leaning forward on a desk or at home with a pillow stuffed between me and the backrest... But I don't want to change any of that. I like having a sling back and I like having the backrest at the current height.

What I'm trying to figure out if I can build is a little back pad to strap over the top of the chair. Really it's only purpose would be to cushion the top of the backrest posts where they jab into my sides, but pushing the top of the seatback forward a bit would provide some lumbar support too, which would be nice. So I'd like to have someone sew up a cushion that goes down about 3-4" from the top of the backrest and have some padding over the posts. I have a stimulite cushion and I like the honeycomb material it's made out of and was thinking maybe this would be a good material to work with... but I'm open to suggestions if you all can think of a better idea.

could you use foam pipe insulation I use this to put on tires when I transfer just to be safe

u can buy 4x4 sheets
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

funklab,

Regarding "... honeycomb type material, I need a strip ..."
    Presently, Supracor - the manufacturer of the honeycomb material in Stimulite cushions - discourages the sale of the raw honeycomb material to the general public. A strip of the material could be obtained by cutting a cushion, but consider the following option.

You mentioned that you "... like having a sling back ..." and that "... lumbar support ... would be nice ..." so one alternative could entail the honeycomb back made by the same manufacturer. The following video shows a peek at the aforementioned back.

https://youtu.be/1m7zuiQISVE?t=12

Note: A 4' x 4' sheet of Supracor's SPS5 honeycomb material (1" thick) would be extraordinarily expensive - their 24" x 36" piece size is around $200.
    Last edited by WC_Sage; 07-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Try this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Relief-fo...-Car/167622205 That is what I use. Google "lumbar support" for alternate types, sources.
    Thanks for the link. Lumbar support is only a secondary benefit, what I primarily need is some cushioning between the top of my seat posts and my ribs. Right now it's just a thin strip of nylon from the sleeve the tube goes into protecting my ribs from the aluminum post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Why do you prefer a sling back? Seems like a solid back would solve all your problems.
    The solid backs I've had in the past were uncomfortable. They only fit me in one position so that if I were to slide my ass forward and lean back I suddenly had no back support except for the top of the plastic back digging into my spine. Also they tend to look pretty ugly, add a significant amount of bulk and make folding the wheelchair back more difficult (though to be fair I very rarely fold my back down).

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    funklab,

Regarding "... honeycomb type material, I need a strip ..."
    Presently, Supracor - the manufacturer of the honeycomb material in Stimulite cushions - discourages the sale of the raw honeycomb material to the general public. A strip of the material could be obtained by cutting a cushion, but consider the following option.

You mentioned that you "... like having a sling back ..." and that "... lumbar support ... would be nice ..." so one alternative could entail the honeycomb back made by the same manufacturer. The following video shows a peek at the aforementioned back.

https://youtu.be/1m7zuiQISVE?t=12

Note: A 4' x 4' sheet of Supracor's SPS5 honeycomb material (1" thick) would be extraordinarily expensive - their 24" x 36" piece size is around $200.
    Hey WC Sage, I didn't know you were on this site. I actually bought my last cushion from you.

I didn't realize they made a sling back, that's pretty cool. The back in your video wouldn't solve my problem as the seat post sleeves (not sure if my terminology is correct) still extends beyond the back's cushion, but it got me wondering.

Maybe if I bought a 16 or 17" wide back for my 13" wide chair I could mount the seat post sleeves physically behind the cushion of the back so that the supracor stuff would cover the seat posts completely, shielding my back from the posts. You think that would work?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    ...what I primarily need is some cushioning between the top of my seat posts and my ribs...
    I would look at getting a wider chair.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    The solid backs I've had in the past were uncomfortable. They only fit me in one position so that if I were to slide my ass forward and lean back I suddenly had no back support except for the top of the plastic back digging into my spine. Also they tend to look pretty ugly, add a significant amount of bulk and make folding the wheelchair back more difficult (though to be fair I very rarely fold my back down).
    I just switched from an ADI carbon to a Matrx MX2 carbon back. I have to slide forward like you described a lot since I have no trunk control. The padding on the Matrx is really thick at the top and the carbon shell is flexible unlike the ADI. So it bends when I lean to the sides, etc. I got a 16" wide back for my 15" chair and it still folds. If you can go with carbon, I think they look really good actually. I also spaced mine out 1/2" from the posts as you can see in the pic to help me sit up a little straighter since I don't slide in my cushion (Ride Java).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Why do you prefer a sling back? Seems like a solid back would solve all your problems.

I have a solid back and Ride Custom cushion. Both enable a fixed position, which has some benefits and some drawbacks. Of course, the benefit is better posture. But the drawback is reduced range of motion in the hips and spine. I have this idea that greater range of motion in my hips and spine will improve the range of motion in my shoulders, which I need badly. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I have a solid back and Ride Custom cushion. Both enable a fixed position, which has some benefits and some drawbacks. Of course, the benefit is better posture. But the drawback is reduced range of motion in the hips and spine. I have this idea that greater range of motion in my hips and spine will improve the range of motion in my shoulders, which I need badly. We'll see.
    Weighing range of motion against almost inevitable paralytic scoliosis. Ah, the joys of SCI.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.