Thread: Is this aortic aneurysim? or progressing SCI or related to it

Is this aortic aneurysim? or progressing SCI or related to it

A little background....I have incomplete spinal cord decompressions, one at C3.4.5 and T8. I am still walking. Recently (1 yr) my family doctor closed his practice because of illness.
    Two weeks ago I developed severe pain in left lower back. It was a very deep pain, hurt to breathe, to walk, to sleep. My left calf swelled up, my oxygen sat went down to 95.
    I finally went to a patient first walk in. I thought it would be better than ER. I explained what was happening, they took vitals and found the exact sats and blood pressure readings that I got. They also said I needed to go to ER because they didn't have the equipment to test (suspected DVT or Pulmonary embolism) I had taken 5 advil and 2 Tylenol earlier that morning and it had helped ease up on the pain.

At the ER, oxygen sats still 95, blood pressure went very low rather than the high it had been reading. Bottom line DVT and Pulmonary embolism ruled out via Cat Scan and ultrasound. Doctor thought it was something muscle related. So I come home, still with pain, but was managing with 6-8 advil and 2 tylenol.

I signed up with the patient portal and in the report of Cat Scan it says "Mildly prominent ascending aorta, measuring 3.9 cm. in caliber compared to 3.5 cm previously" My understanding is that Aorta caliber should be less than 2.1 cm and that those figures mean it is expanding.

Is this a aneuryism or some kind of normal progression of a SCI? or is it part of the long term consequence of myelomalacia? I think the d-dimmer was .5 maybe it was .05, I've forgotten.
    Last edited by cindy; 07-30-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: forgot something

You need to take this information to your physician. It is difficult to make a diagnosis merely on test results.

Please let us know what is going on.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Doctor Not available, only Patient First

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You need to take this information to your physician. It is difficult to make a diagnosis merely on test results.

Please let us know what is going on.

ckf
    Thank you very much for responding.

I think I just want to know what the aorta information means. To the untrained eye, the figures show a growth of some kind, growth to me means aneurism but I know that my knowledge is limited to what I find on the internet.

Unfortunately my PCP closed up his practice. Gave us, his patients a 3 month refill on rx. No one took over his practice nor did he sell it. The only way I have of asking questions is to again go to Patient First (who originally sent me to the ER). My condition now doesn't warrant a visit. I am left with pain in my side which is periodic and not severe at all. I would not go to any physician for this minor pain. I know that I should have a PCP but I don't so I was hoping someone could answer my questions.

I woud actually go to a cardiologist to see what they think. It is more up their alley than your typical PCP.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.