Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone driving Pacifica conversion from chair

Anyone driving Pacifica conversion from chair

Just want impressions on vehicle. Considering that vehicle. How is the ride and handling? Anything I should be aware of?

We are looking at a Pacifica also but I heard there is a head room issue with the Pacifica being 3 inches less than the Toyota. I'll be following this post since we still like the look of the Pacifica over the other options. Bruce

I have a nine-year-old Braun Honda Odyssey with only 18,000 miles on it and immaculately maintained. However, I feel I have had an inordinate amount of problems, some of which thankfully have occurred at my home. Had it occurred elsewhere, I would've been in serious trouble (C6 power chair user).

I am lacking confidence in my present vehicle and my local dealer has offered me the same two Braun choices, sienna versus Pacifica. The new Hondas are way too low in headroom. I am not overly tall and sit in a Permobil F3, which is a good 2 inches higher in seat to floor height then my Permobil C300. My dealer does not offer any other conversions than Braun.

I use low effort steering and braking and my Pacifica package is priced at 66K and the sienna package 64K, including 13,000 for my Odyssey as trade in. Both very expensive, though not surprising.

Depending if you are driving, if you're a quad there are other considerations such as gear shifting and other controls. If you're just being transported these issues may be of less importance. Then your primary issue would be headroom, and that's a pretty straightforward factor depending upon your height at highest point.

Emotionally, I can't see getting rid of a beautiful, rust free, low mileage well-maintained vehicle so soon. I keep my vehicles a long time. But my confidence in the vehicle is lacking. I actually have low-level anxiety when I leave the house in it, especially when alone.

One of them has a 14 inch drop floor, the other 12 inches. This would be of importance if you are tall and need the maximal amount of headroom.

Just picked up a Pacifica last Monday. The engine light was on and dealer said it was a Chrysler recall. Vhyrsler says it's not so am taking to them Monday to check out. Sure hope it's not the conversion part of the van as that'll entail a drive down to Seattle.

I have the Braun foldout and not sure about the height difference from the floor to seat compared to my old VMI in floor. Make sure if getting a conversion and using a manual chair to get the adapter to lower the drivers seat to a manageable height to the W/C. Mine came with the seat configured for a powerchair user to use for transfers. It makes ut a bout 4 inches higher. they had to take it back and put the adapter on to lower it. I'm 6'3" and no problems with headroom. I use a manual chair with the ZX1.

So many doo dads that'll never be used in all the new vans. I'll miss my old turn the seat and transfer in and go. This one takes several steps to allow to transfer into the D. seat.

Braun makes 2 height options for the Pacifica, if it has built in steps at the front doors it’s an XT or extra tall. No steps it’s less drop/ less headroom. Not sure of the actual difference in inches. Sienna’s only come one way.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceofmaui View Post
    We are looking at a Pacifica also but I heard there is a head room issue with the Pacifica being 3 inches less than the Toyota. I'll be following this post since we still like the look of the Pacifica over the other options. Bruce
    I just went and checked out a couple of 2019 Pacifica's. One with a VMI conversion and one with a Braun conversion. I'm in the process of replacing my 2014 Sienna VMI conversion with a in floor ramp. I'm around 56 inches in my Quickie 646SE and I'm a passenger not a driver. First off the room inside the Pacifica is amazing. I had no problem turning around inside it. In my Sienna I have to do a 4 point turn to turn around. The inside headroom was just fine for me in both conversions. Braun has a smoother ride than the VMI. VMI has better ground clearance than Braun. When entering Braun I scraped the top of my head at the door area. I did not with VMI . The sales guy said there is a 1 1/2 to 2 inch difference in that area between the two. I have not had any major issues with my VMI Sienna so I will be going with the VMI Pacifica.
    Hopefully something like this https://www.mobilityworks.com/wheelc...c1bg1kr630035/ or http://www.kerseymobility.com/wheelc...-for-sale/MzAx
    Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 06-22-2019 at 05:48 PM.

The Pacifica L is the least expensive model and can be converted to the braun XT conversion. I was going to buy a touring plus which is several thousand dollars more. For me, I just need to get from point a to point B.

So there are several pacificas that can be used for conversion in line with your needs and budget.

I've had my Pacifica for a week. I didn't realize or blanked out about the two heighte; 10 an 14 inch drops. I did the order over the phone trying to avoid a trip to the big city. I know I mentioned I was in a manual but she must have missed that. Ended up with a 14" drop floor. Ramp looks longer than my VMI infloor. I hate the extra 4" drop. Everything is out of reach if I put it on the floor. It was my fault for not being more thorough and should have gone thru the owner with more experience. I trust it'll just be a matter of getting used to the extra steps of raising and lowering the seat height to transfer. Sure rides nice, no noise at all. My infloor 20 year old VMI sounds like a rattle trap over the same road.

There's been a few recalls on the Pacifica so took it in today for those. One has to do with the wiring harness sdo had to order the parts. The good thing is the service rep. used to build vans back in the day in Warms Springs Georgia. So is good knowing he has the experience to go the extra mile for my van. Also, the van has 6 antennas, mostly for triangulation for the key fob to know if its inside the van or out. With the conversion, the antenna in the center console is taken out with the console. His tech is really good and figures he can rig up a replacement.

I'm going to miss my old VMI if/when I sell it. Short ramp, turn the seat and transfer, that simple. I went with the S because I wanted leather and the larger wheels.

Just FYI, the Pacifica L and LX cannot be used for Braun conversion. The least expensive Pacifica they can be converted by Braun is the Touring Plus and naturally anything more expensive.

The LX can be used for a rear entry conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I've had my Pacifica for a week. I didn't realize or blanked out about the two heighte; 10 an 14 inch drops. I did the order over the phone trying to avoid a trip to the big city. I know I mentioned I was in a manual but she must have missed that. Ended up with a 14" drop floor. Ramp looks longer than my VMI infloor. I hate the extra 4" drop. Everything is out of reach if I put it on the floor. It was my fault for not being more thorough and should have gone thru the owner with more experience. I trust it'll just be a matter of getting used to the extra steps of raising and lowering the seat height to transfer. Sure rides nice, no noise at all. My infloor 20 year old VMI sounds like a rattle trap over the same road.

There's been a few recalls on the Pacifica so took it in today for those. One has to do with the wiring harness sdo had to order the parts. The good thing is the service rep. used to build vans back in the day in Warms Springs Georgia. So is good knowing he has the experience to go the extra mile for my van. Also, the van has 6 antennas, mostly for triangulation for the key fob to know if its inside the van or out. With the conversion, the antenna in the center console is taken out with the console. His tech is really good and figures he can rig up a replacement.

I'm going to miss my old VMI if/when I sell it. Short ramp, turn the seat and transfer, that simple. I went with the S because I wanted leather and the larger wheels.
    So the recalls aren't a big deal on the Pacifica? I'm looking at a VMI 2019.