Thread: New York Times article on UTI's and antibiotic resistance

New York Times article on UTI's and antibiotic resistance

New York Times , Sunday, July 14, 2019

DEADLY GERMS, LOST CURES

Urinary Tract Infections Affect Millions. The Cures Are Faltering.

"As the infections become increasingly resistant to antibiotics, some standard treatments no longer work for an ailment that was once easily cured."For generations, urinary tract infections, one of the world?s most common ailments, have been easily and quickly cured with a simple course of antibiotics.

But there is growing evidence that the infections, which afflict millions of Americans a year, mostly women, are increasingly resistant to these medicines, turning a once-routine diagnosis into one that is leading to more hospitalizations, graver illnesses and prolonged discomfort from the excruciating burning sensation that the infection brings.

The New York City Department of Health has become so concerned about drug-resistant U.T.I.s, as they are widely known, that it introduced a new mobile phone app this month that gives doctors and nurses access to a list of strains of urinary tract infections and which drugs they are resistant to.

The department?s research found that a third of uncomplicated urinary tract infections caused by E. coli ? the most common type now ? were resistant to Bactrim, one of the most widely used drugs, and at least one fifth of them were resistant to five other common treatments."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/13/h...gtype=Homepage

I've been having a recurrent issue with Enterobacter Cloacae. I have an augment produces a lot of mucus, which looks like the perfect medium for growing bacteria. I never was able to get a straight answer as to whether the bowel segment that is added on to my existing bowel is still resident to the bowel bacteria that are found in the regular gastrointestinal tract, or whether they diminish or go away over time. Especially given how many sledgehammer courses of antibiotics I have taken.