Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel accessories plus east coast beach rentals

Travel accessories plus east coast beach rentals

Does anyone know of any TRULY wheelchair accessible beachfront condos on the east coast, specifically North or South Carolina? Most consider having an elevator to be enough. While we?ve ?managed? for a week by using pool shower and working around toilet accessibility, this is certainly not optimal. Sometimes if there is truly a property that would work it sleeps 10+. We only need room for 2.

Second, is there any carry on luggage that will accommodate a 30-32? transfer board? We never check it and between carrying it AND the Roho it makes it difficult to juggle everything. I can?t find a rolling duffle any longer than 30?. We don?t need a giant one, just maybe a ?compartment? for the board.

Lastly, for anyone who relies on a stocking butler - AKA stocking donner, putting on custom stockings can be tough without it! Is there anything made that would maybe collapse for travel?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickib View Post
    Does anyone know of any TRULY wheelchair accessible beachfront condos on the east coast, specifically North or South Carolina? Most consider having an elevator to be enough. While we?ve ?managed? for a week by using pool shower and working around toilet accessibility, this is certainly not optimal. Sometimes if there is truly a property that would work it sleeps 10+. We only need room for 2.

Second, is there any carry on luggage that will accommodate a 30-32? transfer board? We never check it and between carrying it AND the Roho it makes it difficult to juggle everything. I can?t find a rolling duffle any longer than 30?. We don?t need a giant one, just maybe a ?compartment? for the board.

Lastly, for anyone who relies on a stocking butler - AKA stocking donner, putting on custom stockings can be tough without it! Is there anything made that would maybe collapse for travel?

Thanks.

Are you stuck on using condos? I would do a hotel much more accessible and less stress.

On equipment you can take anything on a plane and not be charged, I would get a cart at the airport and put it all there and push or pull with your chair.

I would wrap up the transfer board in bubble wrap and have the airline put a tag on it with your name and address. Roho the same and leave the value open.

Thank you for the suggestions. We are not stuck on condos, but haven't found any hotels that are not cost-prohibitive - beachfront. We're looking to keep the weekly cost under $1000. We do have a "medical bag" for travel that is not charged, and we've even taken beachrings (mats for the sand) without being charged. I do not want the transfer board or Roho seat out of our sight/reach for fear we never see them again!

Thank you for the suggestions. We are not stuck on condos, but haven't found any hotels that are not cost-prohibitive - beachfront. We're looking to keep the weekly cost under $1000. We do have a "medical bag" for travel that is not charged, and we've even taken beachrings (mats for the sand) without being charged. I do not want the transfer board or Roho seat out of our sight/reach for fear we never see them again!
    Most beach communities are the same in cost and summer is the high point so cost are higher.

To try and stay in a beach town for a week for less then a $1000 is going to be really though. Cost would range $200 a night plus.

Roho seats would fly in the over head and just leave the valve open.

Anything else would have a name tag and if lost the airline would pay for it.

You could but stuff in a box and have the airline seal it up also.

N and S Carolina is a large area can you narrow down what city your looking at?

Topsail, Kill Devil Hills, Cape Hatteras NC; Rohoboth, DE, Virginia Beach, VA . . . we're pretty open actually, just don't need a crazy nightlife - like it quiet and we like to go in September. Thanks!

Topsail, Kill Devil Hills, Cape Hatteras NC; Rohoboth, DE, Virginia Beach, VA . . . we're pretty open actually, just don't need a crazy nightlife - like it quiet and we like to go in September. Thanks!
    We travel a lot so if you back away from Labor day and travel mid week you will get bet rates.

Just to give you an idea of rates per night in one area you mentioned.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/H...0!2i7!10e1!6e3

Do you know what features you need for accessibility?

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotel...RdU=mi&srb_u=1

Only 1 Room Left!

King Mobil Accessible Roll In Shwr Nosmk

Oceanfront king guestroom wheelchair access. Wider doors to room and bathroom. Raised toilet with grab bars hand held shower shower chair. Lowered security viewer and latch. Strobe smoke detectors. Closed caption decode 1st 4th floors available. Private balcony and microwave and fridge

FROM
    $145

I tell people to check TripAdvisor and look at pictures and reviews people have posted.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...d=107&filter=7

Hyatt is a little more but in most cases a nicer more upgraded stay...

Also not sure but if you can qualify for discount rates like Military, Government or Corporate rate that can brings the cost down.

Example my Wife is a retired Government worker so we still can travel with her State ID and save 30-40% off the standard rate.

Dont forget we dont drive we always fly so you need to ask if they charge parking fees if you have a car or rent a car.

Some hotels can add $50 a night!

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/vi..._seo_nam_orfxv

We have had good luck with this brand they are new and more accessible and nice experience.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/de..._seo_nam_ilgzd

https://www.google.com/maps/search/H...2019-09-10!2i7

Accessible King Bed/Roll-In Shower (with sofa bed)
    This 425 sq ft ADA-compliant room includes one king-sized bed, accessible roll-in shower, and numerous ADA-compliant amenities and features.

Less Details

$179

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34008-d4412180-Reviews-Hyatt_Place_Dewey_Beach-Dewey_Beach_Delaware.html#photos;aggregationId=&al bumid=107&filter=7