Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a power wheelchair

Shipping a power wheelchair

Has anyone here shipped a power wheelchair? I found lots of threads about packing and shipping manual chairs using the search function. I have a power wheelchair I would like to try to ship, but I couldn't find much on shipping power chairs.
    Do people use the major shipping services, UPS/FedEx, or are there specialty shippers? How do you go about properly packing one of these? Or can you get a shipping service that will pack it for you?

thanks
    Eric

Due to size, dimensions of full size powerchair and weight you will most likely be looking at freight carrier. Also packing usually is strapped to pallet and shrink-wrapped. Parts like joystick, etc that get damaged, loose, etc have to be boxed.
    I was at DME when one of my 21st Century Scientific H-Frames was delivered and above was how it arrived. The techs said all big/heavy powerchairs came that way were some of smaller powerchairs came in boxes that required more assembly.
    "Good Luck!"

Uship.com. I have used that several times and always a good experience. Take the joystick off, put it in freewheel and send it off. No palletizing, crating etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    Due to size, dimensions of full size powerchair and weight you will most likely be looking at freight carrier. Also packing usually is strapped to pallet and shrink-wrapped. Parts like joystick, etc that get damaged, loose, etc have to be boxed.
    I was at DME when one of my 21st Century Scientific H-Frames was delivered and above was how it arrived. The techs said all big/heavy powerchairs came that way were some of smaller powerchairs came in boxes that required more assembly.
    "Good Luck!"
    Thanks, so like FedEx freight or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Uship.com. I have used that several times and always a good experience. Take the joystick off, put it in freewheel and send it off. No palletizing, crating etc.
    I'm taking a look at Uship.com right now. Thanks!
    … So you actually didn't pack anything at all… They just rolled it on out… And then did they pack it some way?Or did it arrive just as you sent it off… In other words, no unpacking to do?

Quote Originally Posted by wchair View Post
    I'm taking a look at Uship.com right now. Thanks!
    … So you actually didn't pack anything at all… They just rolled it on out… And then did they pack it some way?Or did it arrive just as you sent it off… In other words, no unpacking to do?
    Here's what I did one time -- I asked the seller to remove the batteries because they were toast anyway. That knocked off 100 lbs. He also removed the joystick and put it in the battery compartment. With uship you can communicate with the person doing the move. Most of the transport people are just using trailers, and they're traveling with room to spare. Hence, they're happy to pick up a few more dollars in the process. Of course you probably should go with an enclosed trailer.

Try listing it, it doesn't cost anything. You just make up description of the chair (approx. weight and dimensions) and that it will roll, but care needs to be taken since damage can occur. What happens is it's put up for bid, if you will, just like eBay. You can see their feedback and others experiences with the person doing the move.

Yep, I checked out their site. I still have to actually join. But, it looks like a nice and simple way to get the chair from point A to point B.
    Appreciate the suggestion… I don't think I would've found it on my own.

No problem, hopefully it'll work for you. If you're not in a hurry it's even better, that way you'll get more potential bidders and that can reduce the price. How far you shipping it? The farthest I did was getting two chairs from Florida. I think I paid around $350 for the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by wchair View Post
    Has anyone here shipped a power wheelchair? I found lots of threads about packing and shipping manual chairs using the search function. I have a power wheelchair I would like to try to ship, but I couldn't find much on shipping power chairs.
    Do people use the major shipping services, UPS/FedEx, or are there specialty shippers? How do you go about properly packing one of these? Or can you get a shipping service that will pack it for you?

thanks
    Eric
    I just sold a Frontier X5 power wheelchair and couldn't find any good deals on shipping so talked the buyer in to booking a trip he found an American Air flight for $212 flew from Orlando in am we meet at airport in Phoenix and he flew back an hour later.

Long day but how can you get a power chair across the country for then $212!

Use Google Flights and hit graphs and you can find the lowest rate.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...ls:1w;sd:0;t:h

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    No problem, hopefully it'll work for you. If you're not in a hurry it's even better, that way you'll get more potential bidders and that can reduce the price. How far you shipping it? The farthest I did was getting two chairs from Florida. I think I paid around $350 for the pair.
    I am actually attempting to ship from Ohio to Florida. I put the chair in the system just to get some quotes. It was a little bit troublesome… For some reason it would not let me list the exact street addresses, but after playing around different ways to enter them I got them set.