Thread: Left Buttcheek Area Swnsitive Hard Time Healing

Left Buttcheek Area Swnsitive Hard Time Healing

Hello All,

I am a 32 year old male complete C5/C6 quadriplegic paralyzed in a wheelchair since 2001. Over the years I have had a fair share of pressure sores and have been able to stay in bed for long periods of time to fully heal. This time around it seems I have been in bed a whole year and it looks like it is healed but just not 100%. The skin is healed over now it just has a scar and always seems red or irritated. While sitting in the chair I use Roho cushions and pressure relief every 30 minutes for 5 minutes or every hour for 10-15 minutes. It seems at some point in the day it is very uncomfortable and I have to get in bed.

I don't know what to do because I spend weeks and months off of it applying A+D at night and can't get it to completely go away even the sensitivity. Can anyone recommend anything? My primary doctor says it looks like I lean to one side more and my SCI doctor says it looks like sheering. Neither one gave me any suggestions besides get off of it more often. I attached a picture in case anyone has any ideas what I could try. Let me know if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
    Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Scar tissue will always be more sensitive and less prone pressure tolerant. I assume your previous breakdowns in that area healed by secondary intention and not with a flap. Have you seen a good plastic surgeon about a scar revision surgical procedure?

Your pressure reliefs while sitting need to be more frequent; 1-2 minutes every 10-15 min. What technique do you use for both weight shifts and transfers?

Why are you using A & D? Have you tried a pure silicone dressing?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thank you so much for the response. I figured I must have been getting my pressure reliefs wrong. Every person in a chair I talk to says they use a Roho and never have to relieve pressure. I was like that is crazy when I left the hospital they said at most 5 minutes every 30 minutes. I have a power wheelchair with recline and when I am in my my manual chair I lean forward. Transfers are done by getting lifted and set down I don't use sliding boards.

I have never had a plastic surgeon look at it for scar revision and I never had a skin flap surgery I have usually healed easily in the past. I used A&D because I thought to rebuild the skin to help become normal again I needed an ointment. I have never tried a pure silicone dressing never heard of it is it something i should look into?

I have a doctors appointment in two weeks and I will mention anything that may help. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thank you very much for all your help.