Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fold out ramp hitting another car

Fold out ramp hitting another car

As many of you know, I'm picking up the replacement of my 2018 Pacifica to a 2019 Pacifica foldout due to a mistake in drop depth of the floor they made. It just hit me the fold out is around 5" longer than infloor. Am I going to have more of a challenge with enough space to get out of the van? Is there a difference in the ramp angle between the 13 and 10" drops. I hope more then there'll be more space in the cross hatches. Didn't occur to me til just now and have only seen the 13" drop. Dang, hate the second guessing. Sure would hate to hit a car parked next to me with the ramp. I'll be using a ZX1 so no worries on ramp angle.

Just chop off ramp until the ZX1 stalls on it, then weld the last piece back on.
    No Problem
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Five inches is quite a lot, but the change may be insignificant. It depends how far inside the Pacifica the measurement begins. Your ZX1 is probably easier on the ramp than my IGlide since your power wheels are inside your wheelchair wheels. I get nervous one my wheelchair wheels is going to catch a ramp rail especially going downhill. It's a pretty tight fit.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Sorry, I kinda would like the extra length. We been use to lift but since using transit for transportation that usually use minivans which kinda harder to get use to going up. Mama has raised front wheels up going into van. Happy that the driver onhand to keep chair from falling. They have couple rear entry mins that backing out with 6 wheels I bump sides til rear castors turn all way round, little nervous first couple times thinking going over ramp lip/rail.
    Course you probably right about ramp location in the van may make the difference since got further to clear.
    Just wait and see and try not to second guess til try it yourself. My KlearVue Lift is long one and took awhile get use to just how much further it suck out when deployed but got hang of allowing more room. Finally got to where never thought about it, just automatic to allow more space.

Thanks guys. I was thinking the same pfc about shortening the ramp if gets in the way. I measured from basically the same distance at the door Nonoise. I can tell just by looking the fold out looks longer. Course the infloor is a 10" drop the fold out is 13 or 14" drop. Checking with a dealer in Oregon, he thought the fold out 10" was 9.1o, 14 9.0o and infloor 9.9o so not much different in angle; just a little concerned about length. Mike, I think you said it best. Wait to see and not second guess myself.

Several options if I feel too long. Just checking with those who own one or knowledgable. So many ingenius people on the forum for sure. thanks. The new leather should be done today or tomorrow, then transfer the equip. they installed and drive down to pick up. Gonna miss my old rattletrap but don't think my wife will.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-11-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Patrick, the ramps are 52 long for both drops. They list the 10” as 9.1 degrees and 13” as 8.6 so if anything the 10 will be marginally shorter. You asked about the Sienna drop and it’s maybe 10”. Last night I tried picking something up off the floor from the drivers seat and it was no issue. I run my transfer seat all the way down and the Toyota seat all the way up and it’s at my chair height. I think your going to be much happier with the new van.

Thanks ST. I do mine much like you do so trustfully the new one will be the same. That extra drop made it so low I'd have to use a reacher to grab anything off the floor. Even had to lower the seat just to reach the pouch on my chair.
    If the ground effects by the front doors have a step, it's the lower floor depth model. If none, it's the 10". I appreciate your affirmation I'll enjoy it; which I'm sure I will. Too late for second guessing as Mike mentioned earlier.

pat how wide is it all together with ramp folded out
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Gosh, I'm not sure and can't measure til I get the van. Can measure the dodge they loaned us but think the Pacifca is a bit wider than it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Thanks ST. I do mine much like you do so trustfully the new one will be the same. That extra drop made it so low I'd have to use a reacher to grab anything off the floor. Even had to lower the seat just to reach the pouch on my chair.
    If the ground effects by the front doors have a step, it's the lower floor depth model. If none, it's the 10". I appreciate your affirmation I'll enjoy it; which I'm sure I will. Too late for second guessing as Mike mentioned earlier.
    Sounds like a nice vehicle Patrick, enjoy!