Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing Colonoscopy Prep with Colostomy

Managing Colonoscopy Prep with Colostomy

Next week I?m scheduled for my first prep (with pico salex) since my colostomy. An ostomy nurse advised just to use a drainable pouch. I?m thinking about attached some type of hose to the end to handle the output. Otherwise I don?t see how I can handle the volume. Any good tips?

Here are some guidelines and procedures from the Wound Ostomy and Continence Nurses Society: https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.wocn.org/r...L_06.09.11.pdf

I concocted an oversize bag by slitting the bottom and taping on a large, heavy secondary bag.
    Worked OK. I'd advise having a second handy when the time comes
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    Next week I?m scheduled for my first prep (with pico salex) since my colostomy. An ostomy nurse advised just to use a drainable pouch. I?m thinking about attached some type of hose to the end to handle the output. Otherwise I don?t see how I can handle the volume. Any good tips?
    Not sure how you would do this. The drainable urostomy bags have tubing that is too small for feces. I had a patient who we had to construct an ileostomy like this ourselves out of plumbing parts; it was not easy or quick to make! Suggest you do as pfcf49 suggests above.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I think I use a Hollister two piece setup. They have an oversize bag with a clip on the end for draining. The doc gave a new type of drin to use. A total of 32 oz., 16 in the afternoon and the remaindr in the morning. Was much easier than Golytley and didn't taste too bad. More like apricots. Easiest cleanout I've ever had to do. I know the new stuff is around 100 bucks at the pharmacy but for me, well worth it not having to drink that god awful Goltley.

I had one two weeks ago and prep was so much easier than sitting on the throne for 8-10 hours like I did 14 years ago. They make long irrigation sleeves that reach into the toilet. Cut off any excess at the bottom that's not needed. i rinsed the bottom of the sleeve off in the toilet during the process, rolled it up and clipped it shut, and was able to move throughout the house until I needed to drain more out.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the tips.
    I called convatec customer care and they recommend using the two piece setup and attach to an irrigation sleeve. She is sending me samples.
    Sounds similar to what Deadeye did. I believe the pico silex is much easier than the golytely stuff, I sure hope so anyways. I am supposed to take the drink at 5 AM with the bulk of the diarrhea expected between 7 and 11 according to the doctor.
    Not fun but sounds doable.

I used Golytly(sp), took 2-3 big glasses at 1PM, was in the bathroom 30 minutes later. I had mild sedation on my first one thru the rectum 14 years ago but had too much going to deal with sedation so I opted out. No problems through the stoma. I did experience a pulse drop when he rolled me over to check my rectal stump. Finished up, got me dressed, then I drove to Lowes.

Good luck. Sounds like Convatec has you set up.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I used Golytly(sp), took 2-3 big glasses at 1PM, was in the bathroom 30 minutes later. I had mild sedation on my first one thru the rectum 14 years ago but had too much going to deal with sedation so I opted out. No problems through the stoma. I did experience a pulse drop when he rolled me over to check my rectal stump. Finished up, got me dressed, then I drove to Lowes.

Good luck. Sounds like Convatec has you set up.
    Did you have your colonoscopy done in a hospital or at a clinic type deal w/ colorectal Deadeye?

I just got a "reminder" from colorectal recently. Last time the anesthesiologist went a little crazy on him because I was in a regular setting. There weren't any problems. She wants the next time to be a hospital. I have had 2 over the years prefer to stay away from hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Did you have your colonoscopy done in a hospital or at a clinic type deal w/ colorectal Deadeye?

I just got a "reminder" from colorectal recently. Last time the anesthesiologist went a little crazy on him because I was in a regular setting. There weren't any problems. She wants the next time to be a hospital. I have had 2 over the years prefer to stay away from hospitals.
    Hospital, Digestive Health Clinic.