Thread: SCI exercise therapy around Denver

SCI exercise therapy around Denver

Hey there,

I'm about a year out from my C5-C6 injury, living in the Boston area and making as much use as I can of outpatient therapy at Spaulding Rehab and separately out of pocket exercise rehab had a great SCI-oriented nonprofit facility called Journey Forward (https://journey-forward.org/). The therapy I get at Spaulding is obviously great, but also limited to a couple hours a week based on my insurance. The support I get from Journey Forward is just fantastic, including a lot of FES, Lokomat, and general functional-oriented exercise run by a lot of really sharp therapists that have developed me a customized functional recovery program.

Trouble is, turns out that Boston is absolutely terrible now that I'm in a wheelchair. It's horribly expensive, and I can't seem to get out and about due to awful traffic and lack of proximity to the outdoors. I really can't stand the urban environment anymore. Some friends in the greater Denver area are encouraging me to move there, and for these latter points it would make a heck of a lot of sense.

I'm well aware that Craig Hospital in Denver will probably offer top-notch outpatient therapy. But given that my insurance company is only willing to sponsor a couple hours a week, I'm wondering what else is available there. Is there anything like Journey Forward in the area? Anything with private pay Lokomat? I don't want to start seriously thinking about a move if I'm not going to have a similar level of care.

Also, any other considerations I should know about living in the Denver area with SCI? Like PCA availability, CO state support infrastructure, etc.? And yeah, I know weed is legal there too, but it's not a critical point for me. :-)

Thanks!
    Emmett

Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    Hey there,

I'm about a year out from my C5-C6 injury, living in the Boston area and making as much use as I can of outpatient therapy at Spaulding Rehab and separately out of pocket exercise rehab had a great SCI-oriented nonprofit facility called Journey Forward (https://journey-forward.org/). The therapy I get at Spaulding is obviously great, but also limited to a couple hours a week based on my insurance. The support I get from Journey Forward is just fantastic, including a lot of FES, Lokomat, and general functional-oriented exercise run by a lot of really sharp therapists that have developed me a customized functional recovery program.

Trouble is, turns out that Boston is absolutely terrible now that I'm in a wheelchair. It's horribly expensive, and I can't seem to get out and about due to awful traffic and lack of proximity to the outdoors. I really can't stand the urban environment anymore. Some friends in the greater Denver area are encouraging me to move there, and for these latter points it would make a heck of a lot of sense.

I'm well aware that Craig Hospital in Denver will probably offer top-notch outpatient therapy. But given that my insurance company is only willing to sponsor a couple hours a week, I'm wondering what else is available there. Is there anything like Journey Forward in the area? Anything with private pay Lokomat? I don't want to start seriously thinking about a move if I'm not going to have a similar level of care.

Also, any other considerations I should know about living in the Denver area with SCI? Like PCA availability, CO state support infrastructure, etc.? And yeah, I know weed is legal there too, but it's not a critical point for me. :-)

Thanks!
    Emmett
    Check out NeuAbility: http://neuability.org/services-programs/#open-gym

The Peak Center at Craig Hospital: https://craighospital.org/programs/the-peak-center

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Nothing to add about Denver, but, just curious, have you tried the ExPD program at Spaulding? https://spauldingrehab.org/condition...e-disabilities
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bellman View Post
    Nothing to add about Denver, but, just curious, have you tried the ExPD program at Spaulding? https://spauldingrehab.org/condition...e-disabilities
    The ExPD program is at a different location than I usually visit so I haven't explored it very much, but I did participate in their rowing program for a few months before having to bow out due to a pressure sore. The program was very cool and part of a clinical trial they're running, but unfortunately now that I'm healed the trial has been fulfilled. It's certainly worth looking into other opportunities with ExPD.

Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    The ExPD program is at a different location than I usually visit so I haven't explored it very much, but I did participate in their rowing program for a few months before having to bow out due to a pressure sore. The program was very cool and part of a clinical trial they're running, but unfortunately now that I'm healed the trial has been fulfilled. It's certainly worth looking into other opportunities with ExPD.
    As far as I know, you can continue on with the ExPD program outside of the clinical trial for a monthly fee.

Do you think the pressure sore had anything to do with your participating in the rowing program?
    Co-founder & CTO of MYOLYN - FES Technology for People with Paralysis - Empowering People to Move

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bellman View Post
    As far as I know, you can continue on with the ExPD program outside of the clinical trial for a monthly fee.

Do you think the pressure sore had anything to do with your participating in the rowing program?
    Yes, I'm aware that I can pay for the same rowing program now, but haven't gotten around to restarting it. I'm busy paying for a bunch of other therapies, and between the money and the time commitment for those I don't have as much left over as I'd like! But over time I'm sure it'll come.

Also, absolutely not a result of the rowing program that I got a pressure sore. It is strictly because of a misunderstanding about how to properly inflate a Roho cushion when I was first discharged. A terrible misunderstanding, of course, and I just won't get the opportunity back.

The Peak Center at Craig will have everything you need. It's not cheap but the facility and staff are both amazing. The also do tons of clinical trials there. I got hooked up with one a few summers ago with a clinical trial for this monster: http://www.medicalexpo.com/prod/rest...57-556461.html. 45 minutes on that followed by 30 minutes of over-ground walking with different devices 3x/week for FREE for pretty much the entire summer... not a bad deal. They also run the NRN (neuro recovery network... i believe) out of Craig and are always recruiting people with all different levels of injury.

I would say Denver is a pretty gimp-friendly place. I've been here for 14 of my 16 disabled years (was in boulder for the 1st 2, which is also awesome). A lot of the gyms and rec centers have semi-accessible equipment. both Denver and Boulder Parks and Rec have some great adaptive sports programs. And there's these guys as well: https://adaptiveadventures.org/. They do A LOT of fundraising and get A LOT of grant money, which equates to A LOT of free or extremely low cost activities for us. I've learned to do and got to experience some cool stuff with some pretty amazing disabled athletes and awesome volunteers/employees. I'm not super-wrapped up in the disabled community here, but it definitely exists and is not hard to tap into.

Boston is absolutely terrible now that I'm in a wheelchair. It's horribly expensive, and I can't seem to get out and about due to awful traffic and lack of proximity to the outdoors. I really can't stand the urban environment anymore.
    I'm originally from NY and still go back there (NYC and the 'burbs) quite a bit to see my entire family and I agree with you, it is miserable most of the time. Unless there's a family outing specifically to get me to do something I wan to do (which of course, I appreciate), I find myself inside the majority of the time I'm there. I thought of Denver as a tiny-ass, cow-town city when I first moved CO... part of what I moved here for. But with my 'changes' it's become the perfect size. It IS getting more and more expensive to live here and the traffic seems to get worse by the minute but compared to what you're used to, it would a walk in the park. There are miles and miles of bike trails connecting all different parts of the city with lots of parks and awesome little neighborhoods surrounding the "Downtown" area. The 'light-rail' system (which is free for us gimps if jump the necessary hoops to get your pass) can get you to a lot of places (including the airport) and is getting better and better in terms of putting stations into some of the periphery neighborhoods I just mentioned. Biggest bonus for being a gimp in Denver: FREE PARKING AT ALL METERED SPOTS ANYWHERE IN THE CITY. 'Nuf said. IT *almost* makes it all worth it. HaHa.

And on a final note, you can't beat the weather. Actually, I'd prefer to be on the beach all year long, but since that's not in the cards just yet, I'll take the constant sun and mild (sunny) winters with tons of AMAZING snow about an hour away if needed. It's not very often that the snow sticks for long down here in Denver (up in the mountains is a different story). I shoveled maybe twice this year. there have been a few bad winters but they're few and far between.

Feel free to PM if you want any specifics.
    Last edited by daveh0; 08-07-2019 at 05:56 AM.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***