Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand controls with a right hand brake

Hand controls with a right hand brake

For the past 5 years I've been using Suregrip push-rock hand controls (and before that push-pull). Since I can only steer with one hand, I tend to keep my right hand at the top of the wheel for better control. Always holding my arm up on the wheel (my commute is 45-90 minutes one way) has started to take a toll on my deltoid.

I just got a new car and now it's time to get new controls, so I figured I should look at other hand controls. I've been looking at Veigel, Menox, and (if I decide to splurge) Kempf DARIOS.

I'm curious what experience others have had with right handed controls/brakes. Seems like they'd make it overly awkward to shift gears, fiddle with the radio, or really anything I've gotten used to doing with my right hand

One thing I do like about my suregrip controls is I can reach them while resting my arm on the armrest - provides a little extra stability since I'm a T4/5 and have crap trunk control.

What do y'all think? Any fans of right-handed controls out there?

Quote Originally Posted by T4Gimp View Post
    What do y'all think? Any fans of right-handed controls out there?
    Opposite of you, but you should get the idea of what I mean.

I steer with my left hand. My hand controls are on my right side. And you are correct, shifting gears is a pain. But I won't have it any other way *and* I have tried left hand controls. My stupid right arm does not know how to steer after all these years of driving. Especially since I am a lefty, my left arm just seems to want to do want my brain-eye combo says. The eye-brain-arm thing just did not work smooth when I had it set up for left hand controls. Slow speed in tight quarters was the most difficult. Since I could switch the controls over to the other side, I did.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I have Viegel right side controls and a spinner knob on my steering wheel. Works great for me!

With a tri-pin or steering knob you could try steering from the 5:00 position on the steering wheel. Takes a little practice, but using the 2:00 position was an arm killer on long drives.
    4xquad

I’ve had Menox in 2 vehicles and now have Featherlite rightside push pulls. I tried but didn’t care for left side either.

Viegel are awesome. They have brake locks so you can lock your brakes at stop lights...I would never go to handcontrols without that option now.

The thing I like about my push-pull hand control is that it enables me to steer with either hand. If you fatigue, you just switch hands.

Menox has the brake lock feature standard also. Very handy, in my F350, I had one side of the rocker switch engage the brake solenoid the other engaged/ disengaged cruise control. They have an option to add more functions on the control handle.

I'm in the UK and just use a push pull hand control...I've never heard of a brake lock feature but I definitely want that in my life...launch control here we come!

Literally everything is on the right side of the vehicle. Your A/C, radio, parking brake, gear shifter, cup holders, center console, glove box, etc. The only advantage I can think of to right side hand controls is for clearance getting in and out (which I haven't had issues with) or preference. I used my left hand to steer for 10 years before my accident driving a manual. It only took a few months for it to feel just as natural steering with my right hand now. With my left arm resting on the armrest, I can use gas/brake, steer, turn signal, etc. all with one hand if I need my right hand free. The pros to left side controls seem to far outweigh the cons (for me at least).