Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In need of possible inpatient mental health care

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Detoxing from Valium and other benzos must be done very carefully, slowly, and under medical supervision. While people detoxing from opioids may feel like they are going to die, that is very rare. No so with benzos. Done improperly it can be life-threatening. I hope you get the assistance you need, Todd.

(KLD)
    KLD,

Yes, absolutely! Alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal must be done under medical supervision. I believe my psychiatrist is comfortable enough in her assertion that by going off 2.5mg a week and then ending at 2.5mg the last week will prevent any significant problems, as it’s low and Valium remains in the system a long time after the last dose.

you've got mail
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Todd, I was in a palliative program for pain management. The benzos were rx'd for the cerebral palsy and SCI. The pain management was for the neuro pain that was out the wazoo. I was rx'd valium, knonipin, oxycontin, and more. I did not do street drugs, not that it matters. Drugs are drugs when addiction is at play. The meds I was prescribed to help me only worsened the pain. Opiates worsen nerve pain exponentially. When I was first started on the regimen of all of the meds, I had been told I would not become addicted because I had real pain. Wrong! The meds I took did not take away the pain. The drugs only made me not care I hurt. It also made me not care about anything and anyone, including myself. My behavior was off the charts for those several years I took all I was prescribed as prescribed. It was an embarrassment to me for years once I started the recovery process. I've stopped feeling the shame I did back then. I own what I did. I cannot undo it, but I can see to it day by day that I never repeat it. I understand what you are facing and my heart hurts for yours. I'm here for you, Todd. My phone number has changed since we talked by phone years ago. I will see you have my number to use whenever and wherever you need, okay? Let me know how I can help. Sending **hugs** and much love your way. ~~~ M.E.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    you've got mail
    Thank you! It’s always nice to have another person there.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    I understand what you are facing and my heart hurts for yours. I'm here for you, Todd. My phone number has changed since we talked by phone years ago. I will see you have my number to use whenever and wherever you need, okay? Let me know how I can help. Sending **hugs** and much love your way. ~~~ M.E.
    Thank you, M.E., I’ve added you to my phone. As I told Phil, sometimes I need to feel more engaged before reaching out, so please don’t be offended if don’t call within the next hour. Haha! I will be sure to keep my calls or texts during appropriate hours. I called a suicide hotline at 2AM because no one else was around, while I wasn’t going to harm myself, I needed to talk to someone. Even in doing that, I made a new friend. It’s wonderful the people that come out to support you when tell others you need help.

Sincerely,
    Todd

KLD,

I realize I forgot to thank you properly for your words and support. Forgive my faux pas, your advice was just as much appreciated.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Le Todd View Post
    KLD,
    I realize I forgot to thank you properly for your words and support. Forgive my faux pas, your advice was just as much appreciated.
    Todd
    No thanks needed, Todd. You are a valued member of the CC community, and we are all here for each other.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-12-2019 at 03:04 AM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Todd, no worries on calling. I have not called you as I don't want to pressure you. When you are ready, you will call. Just know I am here when you need. It looks as though you have support from P and others, too. I'm glad for that. Detox and recovery take a village. It's one of those things we cannot do solo.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Todd, no worries on calling. I have not called you as I don't want to pressure you. When you are ready, you will call. Just know I am here when you need. It looks as though you have support from P and others, too. I'm glad for that. Detox and recovery take a village. It's one of those things we cannot do solo.

Update: I spoke with my cousin who is an M.D. (a neurologist). He’s going to set me up an appointment with a colleague of his to discuss going further with a plan that’s more comfortable for me. He knows Valium comes in 5mg and 2mg tablets. When he asked about why I can’t taper more slowly, I told him my psychiatrist told me she doesn’t want that to become the focus of my life. He said that’s a ridiculous notion. If someone has been on a controlled substance, especially a benzodiazepine, for over a decade, expecting him to come off in a month and be totally fine and adjusted is not right. He said you’re already full of anxiety and you’ve been on the medication since 2006, it is the focus of your life. Now we just move forward with tapering you slowly and giving your body a chance to regain its homeostasis without the toxicity.

He said the beauty of drugs like Baclofen and Zanaflex are they aren’t controlled and if I find they help in the tapering and adjustment aspect of my life, we can use those.

I’m feeling really upbeat and positive that I’m being heard and going to see a neurologist, not another psychiatrist about this issue. I haven’t seen a neurologist since before Katrina, so I’m probably due, anyway.