Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting closer to a cure!

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I am a full quad with no hand function, this would Totally transform my life for the better though
    I really feel for you Luna and hope to God it will happen, still to me 'Cure' means your body's back to normal as it was prior to SCI. That was my point. MISLEADING.
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

For more links and discussion, also look at this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ve-quads-lives
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I really feel for you Luna and hope to God it will happen, still to me 'Cure' means your body's back to normal as it was prior to SCI. That was my point. MISLEADING.

I understand
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Look up Dr. Justin Brown listen at Mass General Hospital
    Injured on July 8th 2017 at 28 years old.
    Fractured C4 - C7, Incomplete.

Facebook Email

While this won't help complete quads, as you must have some spared function to transform into grasp, it would be life-changing for incompletes. Great work.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindex View Post
    Look up Dr. Justin Brown listen at Mass General Hospital
    While I was in inpatient at Spaulding rehab last year Dr Brown came by and did rounds to meet with all of the various SCI patients. For all of us quads he seemed to highly recommend the surgery, and that we get it very quickly. At the time it felt a little bit like a high-pressure salesman in an environment where I wasn't really sure what was happening - still swirling in the confusion in desperation of a recent injury. As a result, I didn't go forward with it. Now, a little over a year out from my injury, I wonder if I made the right choice. Some of the other patients signed up and have had varying levels of results. But certainly, the promise that it holds seems appealing in hindsight, now that I've come to terms with the fact that I'm unlikely to get my hands back by natural means. The grass is always greener, I suppose!

It's also worth noting that, at the time, some of my therapists were a little unsure about his work as well. So I didn't feel super confident in his procedure. But now, talking to those same therapists, they've come around and think he's the real deal.

No closer to a cure.

We are no closer to a cure today than 30 years ago.

When I got injured in 1987 my rehab doctor told me in 8 years (1995) there will be a cure. That was almost a quarter of century ago.

I have not seen one walking para or quad paralyzed cured from any type of surgery or therapy(s).

Pick up the shattered pieces of your life and move forward. Live life like you have no disability. Still run after all of your dreams, ambitions and goals in life. Don't stop running!

I will go to my grave paralyzed.

In my honest opinion.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    While this won't help complete quads, as you must have some spared function to transform into grasp
    Not true. Complete/Incomplete is irrelevant here.