Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 37 years today!

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I also hit 37 years this past April. I'm with you. I feel good for what my body has been through. But, I am definitely starting to feel the changes coming. Transfers are not as crisp. I'm hiring help more to do things I used to do, just to save energy. Having lost a couple good friends recently, I am seeing my mortality as something sooner rather than later. I'm looking at how I can be more of a participant in the world rather than just a spectator (easier said than done). Just lots more reflection and even depression, that was never an issue before. I was always a looking forward kind of guy, but with less to look forward to (other than the slow decline) one can't help but look back. I find myself envious far more often now of circumstances I used to just brush aside. Somehow it hit me this year that my life really does suck. It was almost like "How did I not know this?".

Love it, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
    Been fighting the fight for 37 years today. Despite the shoulder pain and crooked spine my Doc says "I'm in pretty good shape, for the shape I'm in" I'm very grateful for my wife, my family and friends.
    Congrats! 29 years for me 7/4/1990 9:40 a.m.. Loving life with my amazing wife!

At 24 years I guess I'm no longer a rookie!

Reporting that my life is good, sometimes I think extraordinary, and I have no regrets.
    Even before my injury I wondered if I would ever be satisfied.
    I am!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

keep after it, you are winning the war brother.........
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    I also hit 37 years this past April. I'm with you. I feel good for what my body has been through. But, I am definitely starting to feel the changes coming. Transfers are not as crisp. I'm hiring help more to do things I used to do, just to save energy. Having lost a couple good friends recently, I am seeing my mortality as something sooner rather than later. I'm looking at how I can be more of a participant in the world rather than just a spectator (easier said than done). Just lots more reflection and even depression, that was never an issue before. I was always a looking forward kind of guy, but with less to look forward to (other than the slow decline) one can't help but look back. I find myself envious far more often now of circumstances I used to just brush aside. Somehow it hit me this year that my life really does suck. It was almost like "How did I not know this?".
    I also have been having these thoughts. Like ?how can I be ok with this, it?s a nightmare? but then I go on for a bit being ok with it. Been being very reflective and looking back a lot and what is gone. I can hardly believe how much I used to do and as the years pass I am able less and less, and become more of a spectator. I know part of it is age, but part is the disability.
    chair user since 2009 from a neurological disorder

Happy anniversary....a few days late!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    We're all here for you