Thread: VMI Honda Odyssey fuel capacity

VMI Honda Odyssey fuel capacity

Does anyone know if the VMI adapted 2010 Honda Odyssey has the same fuel tank and fuel capacity as the standard Honda Odyssey? My dashboard warning says I have a range of zero miles when the tank can take 17 gallons. The factory standard tank holds 21 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    Does anyone know if the VMI adapted 2010 Honda Odyssey has the same fuel tank and fuel capacity as the standard Honda Odyssey? My dashboard warning says I have a range of zero miles when the tank can take 17 gallons. The factory standard tank holds 21 gallons.
    I have the 2010 VMI Honda Odyssey and have the same issue. I asked my conversion dealer about the fuel tank capacity and he said it was the same as original equipment. But, I have my doubts about that. When the gauge indicates empty, and I run around a little then go to get gas, I fill up with between 16 to 17 gallons. Never had the nerve to push it to dry. Smaller tank or a calibration problem???

I do remember that the dealer told me that VMI relocated the tank from the driver's side of the van to the front passenger side. And I think he said the tank had also been rotated a quarter turn. But, all of that conversation took place years ago. So....
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-04-2019 at 03:22 PM.

The Honda owners manual says the low fuel warning light is supposed to come on with 3 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank. My low fuel warning light comes on about one gallon before the range goes to zero miles, when I can take about 17 gallons. With a 21 gallon tank, it looks like my warning light comes on with 5 gallons remaining and my range goes to zero with about 4 gallons remaining. That's pretty conservative.

My new GTI was warning that I had only 30mi remaining, and when the gauge read zero, it only took ~11g
    My earlier GTI (o6) was much better, so I put a little 2g gas jug in the back and bungeed it.
    The thing ran out in the hospital parking lot, which was helpful, long after the display and the gauge read zero.
    Turns out the late cars use the smaller R32 tank which is only 12g!
    But now I have a pretty good handle on just how much farther I can go! (~30mi)
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I called VMI tech support, should have done that first, and was told that the tank is the same 21 gallon size but loses a gallon or gallon and a half usable capacity because of the way it's oriented in the conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I called VMI tech support, should have done that first, and was told that the tank is the same 21 gallon size but loses a gallon or gallon and a half usable capacity because of the way it's oriented in the conversion.
    Thanks for bringing up this issue and sharing what you found. Solves a mystery.