Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Septic tanks and cleaning supplies

Question Septic tanks and cleaning supplies

Hi all,

My fiancee and I are reconsidering the lot we were going to build on... we're looking now potentially at a semi-rural lot 5 min outside city limits.... it would require a septic tank/field. I know they work off 'active bacteria' to biodegrade stuff. I was just a little concerned about flushing Urolux (my leg bag sterilizing solution) through the septic since it's an anti-bacterial. I think at most in a week maybe 100-200ml might go down the rain which is pretty small if you're talking a 1200-200 gallon septic tank.

I asked a local septic company ... the guy said he's never been asked that before... said he couldn't guarantee anything but thought the amount was fairly minimal and likely would b OK

So I was wondering if any of you were on septic and also utilized such a uro-cleaner... and if you encountered any issues. Or had any thoughts?

Interesting article about septic tanks...probably more info than you want...but: http://waterquality.cce.cornell.edu/...calsSeptic.pdf

Urolux is 5% by volume Phosphoric Acid, a corrosive. Here is the Material Safety Data Sheet: https://www.urocare.com/EN/Documents...-11111007C.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    Hi all,

My fiancee and I are reconsidering the lot we were going to build on... we're looking now potentially at a semi-rural lot 5 min outside city limits.... it would require a septic tank/field. I know they work off 'active bacteria' to biodegrade stuff. I was just a little concerned about flushing Urolux (my leg bag sterilizing solution) through the septic since it's an anti-bacterial. I think at most in a week maybe 100-200ml might go down the rain which is pretty small if you're talking a 1200-200 gallon septic tank.

I asked a local septic company ... the guy said he's never been asked that before... said he couldn't guarantee anything but thought the amount was fairly minimal and likely would b OK

So I was wondering if any of you were on septic and also utilized such a uro-cleaner... and if you encountered any issues. Or had any thoughts?
    I been on septic tank for 40 years never have I had to pump 1 you take care of it feed it I feed mine yeast baker yeast 1 a month down the toilet, do not put grease femine hygene colosty bags down it

that small amount just put it out in flower bed or garden but septic tank people want you to pump your take I had 5 rental all on septic tank only 1 I had a problem was the dam tree grew in it. only reason that tree was still there as I was told septic tank some where else tree is gone dead 4 years later no problem only plant grass on tank and drain lines and don/t let vechiles drive on over or park they will crush it

I've been flushing that stuff for 23 years-oh shit!-in a little while 24!
    We've had the tank pumped twice in all that time and only because we know it's a marginal deal (it's a converted barn and the cess pool is ancient and in fairly moist area) and it seemed like a good idea.

The second time was like a year ago and the septic guy told us that now he's required to report it to the municipality which will monitor and insist it is pumped regularly (this applies to all septic systems in the municipality)
    I'm from the gumment and I'm here to HELP you!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I bet ur home is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I bet ur home is beautiful
    Without apology, it IS! We bought the place just two years before I screwed the pooch (paralyzed) and pretty much worked out the vision and expected to do most of it ourselves over time, but reality intervened. But a great carpenter friend, Vietnam vet named Lenny did most of the first 2/3 of it and for pretty cheap!
    I really should do a thread on it because in addition to being wonderfully serene space, it is super crip-friendly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Without apology, it IS! We bought the place just two years before I screwed the pooch (paralyzed) and pretty much worked out the vision and expected to do most of it ourselves over time, but reality intervened. But a great carpenter friend, Vietnam vet named Lenny did most of the first 2/3 of it and for pretty cheap!
    I really should do a thread on it because in addition to being wonderfully serene space, it is super crip-friendly.
    Very cool

Sounds like with proper maintenance/emptying and only a small amount of urolux into a large tank it should be not too much of an issue. Thanks for everyone replies so far. Keep them coming if there are others

hell no no apology that's is beautiful wow you should do that I will drool all over it

Blog Entries
    without apology, it is! We bought the place just two years before i screwed the pooch (paralyzed) and pretty much worked out the vision and expected to do most of it ourselves over time, but reality intervened. But a great carpenter friend, vietnam vet named lenny did most of the first 2/3 of it and for pretty cheap!
    way nice for a crank like you ,
    beautiful