Thread: Alternatives to Hollister Medical Adhesive 7730

Alternatives to Hollister Medical Adhesive 7730

I'm looking for a back up sheath adhesive. Hollister 7730 works great for me but I'd like to have a backup. I tried Conveen prepwipes but my skin reacted badly to them. Has anyone any suggestions? (I'm uk based if that makes any difference).

Hi Pete . I cannot advise you on alternative adhesive. But for what it is worth, I used to use the Hollister Eurotip with adhesive, hose and leg bag. They worked well enough but I found myself getting infections and worse still, skin problems from the adhesive(?) or lack of air(?) or a combination. Either way, when these occurred it meant treatment and limiting my ability to get out and about while the skin recovered.
    Now I self catheterise and have never regretted moving on from those sheaths.
    I do keep a few for those occasions when I get crook with a persistent, constant cough that empties the bladder quite well.

Thanks for the reply. I've used this glue for many years and its good but want to explore backups and other options.

Have you tried using a self-adhesive external condom catheter instead of a non-adhesive where you need to use an additional skin adhesive?

Most men who use self adhesive external condom catheters don't use an additional adhesive with it. They may use a skin barrier like Smith & NephewSkin Prep, 3M Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film (wipes or spray) but these are not adhesives, they are skin protectants. They may also help adhesives stick better, and also protect from tape burn and urine burn on the skin. Years ago, many used Tincture of Benzoin but this discolors the skin (making skin inspection difficult) stains clothing, and smells horrible.

If you really need to use a skin adhesive on your penis, then consider Uro-Bond III 5000 Silicone Skin Adhesive (made by UroCare) or Torbot Skin Bonding Cement. Osto Bond Skin Bond Ostomy Adhesive is also available, but contains latex, and people with SCI are advised to avoid latex products whenever possible, due to the high rate of latex allergy and sensitivity that occurs in people with SCI, often due to repeated exposure to latex (gloves, etc.).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

when I wore a condom catheter, 3M Cavilon spray was the clear winner.
    Then, my uro-supplier stopped vending it and I tried "the house brand".

It wasn't very long before I started buying my own 3M stuff!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ