Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable cushion

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    baldfatdAD, That's funny, lmao

pfcs49, That's an interesting idea. my frame/box springs is already sitting on the floor so no legs to remove. But might still be possible, though wiring multiple actuators might be out of my league.

Thanks
    Dump the box springs-totally uneccesary and huge wasted space!

PS: running simple/independent linear motors, they may get out of sync and have differing lengths. If you run all (2 or 4) to max extension or min, I think they would get re-sync'd.
    If you run them off a 12v power supply, wiring is very simple, basically a DPDT/center off switch which is wired (and works the same) as an old power window switch. The few that are 120VAC, I don't know how they control reversing them.

PS: I'm 72 yoa. We are getting to be OLD gimps!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-09-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

All these attempts to redesign the wheel .
    Trial out a decent 'hospital' bed. Even down these parts there are choices in design and appearance.
    When I am sleeping I could care less about the appearance of my bed, tidiness not-withstanding.
    I want a bed that suits my purpose, is comfortable, is adjustable, is reliable in its function and is easy to 'make'. No more back breaking chore for who 'makes' my bed.
    Then there is the choice of a decent mattress.
    Job done. Sleep well. Ease in transferring. Bliss.......

that's too easy
    NW NJ

Dump the box springs-totally uneccesary and huge wasted space!

PS: running simple/independent linear motors, they may get out of sync and have differing lengths. If you run all (2 or 4) to max extension or min, I think they would get re-sync'd.
    If you run them off a 12v power supply, wiring is very simple, basically a DPDT/center off switch which is wired (and works the same) as an old power window switch. The few that are 120VAC, I don't know how they control reversing them.

PS: I'm 72 yoa. We are getting to be OLD gimps!
    Doesn't really have a box springs, it's just a platform on top of the frame. The head and feet raise up/down, already took the legs off. Anyway been using a cushion on a board the last couple of days and it has improved my morning transfer. I also tried the inflatable cushion between the platform and mattress, it actually seems to lift me up nicely but the cushion/board method is quicker, so I'm going to try that for a while. Nice to know I have that to fall back on when needed. I enjoy your ideas, my son just laughs at me because I'm always getting weird ideas. Just added a custom hand break to my van. btw - we might be old gimps but there's only one alternative to getting old. So I'm planning on becoming an even older gimp.

All these attempts to redesign the wheel .
    Trial out a decent 'hospital' bed. Even down these parts there are choices in design and appearance.
    When I am sleeping I could care less about the appearance of my bed, tidiness not-withstanding.
    I want a bed that suits my purpose, is comfortable, is adjustable, is reliable in its function and is easy to 'make'. No more back breaking chore for who 'makes' my bed.
    Then there is the choice of a decent mattress.
    Job done. Sleep well. Ease in transferring. Bliss.......
    I want a Full/Queen size bed and the cheapest I've found that matches my need is $3,000+. I've spent $25 messing around with these alternatives. Besides like pfcs49 said that would be to easy. I'm retired now so I have lots of time to reinvent the wheel.

I have to admit that shelling out $3000 US is a fair stretch.
    You are still 'active' Wes? Good for you mate

Initially I found the single 'hospital bed' foreign and small as I was well accustomed to a large Queen size unit.
    The truth been told, I used to have a disturbed sleep in that bed. In the morning my bed linen looked like I had been rock and rolling all night long - some chance!
    My single bed is 0.9m x 2.1m; at its lowest it is 0.5m and will lift to 0.9m.
    It has a decent low pressure type mattress and is for rest and sleeping.
    If I want to perform a version of the horizontal Rumba there is the Queen size bed; for making out there is the lounge suit or the back seat of the Toyota Nah, the front recliners are better suited for me.
    Good luck with finding a solution that will enable you safe transfers without undue wear on your joints Wes.
    There are those units where a board sits under the mattress and has a raised hand hold attached. You could set one of those to a height that suits your situation?

"There are those units where a board sits under the mattress and has a raised hand hold attached. You could set one of those to a height that suits your situation?"

Yes! If you could fabricate a vertical upright off the bed frame with a grip on the end, (I certainly could) that was a bit higher than the mattress, you would have lots of operational margins in transferring. My problem is lifting my dumb ass high enough to land on the cushion, not bump it. A little ingenuity and it could fold down to the side of the mattress and not look dumb.

Another less attractive but helpful solution, a monkey bar over the bed side, kind of like the sky hook you always wanted but never found!

PS: our bed is a king with a firm memory foam mattress.

NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    "There are those units where a board sits under the mattress and has a raised hand hold attached. You could set one of those to a height that suits your situation?"

Yes! If you could fabricate a vertical upright off the bed frame with a grip on the end, (I certainly could) that was a bit higher than the mattress, you would have lots of operational margins in transferring. My problem is lifting my dumb ass high enough to land on the cushion, not bump it. A little ingenuity and it could fold down to the side of the mattress and not look dumb.
    Another less attractive but helpful solution, a monkey bar over the bed side, kind of like the sky hook you always wanted but never found! PS: our bed is a king with a firm memory foam mattress.
    Yes, if a person wanted he could attach a tube to the bed frame and have a custom length slip in L or T tube that would afford purchase when transferring.
    I have such on my outside chair that allows me easier transfers to and from my inside and outside chair. It is cobbled from Bicycle handle bars and slips into the swivel frame foot plate receiver thingy. i will post a picture if anyone is interested to view.
    The floor to deck height difference is something like 5" and it saves me having to launch my carcass. Transferring down is easy of course but made easier with this tool.

Another less attractive but helpful solution, a monkey bar over the bed side, kind of like the sky hook you always wanted but never found!
    I've got one of those on my wonderfully comfortable large single 'hospital bed'. They are frowned on by the O.Ts and Physios and I am not sure that they are still 'issue'. Anyhoo, it works for me as an assist and I am fortunate that I still have good upper body strength.

I have such on my outside chair that allows me easier transfers to and from my inside and outside chair. It is cobbled from Bicycle handle bars and slips into the swivel frame foot plate receiver thingy. i will post a picture if anyone is interested to view
    Love to see a picture, I'm always looking for new ideas.

I've seen those hand rails that slide between the mattress and box springs, that you can use for transferring. But I have seen any that swing down and out of the way. Other wise it would be in the way when I transferred into the bed.

Yes! If you could fabricate a vertical upright off the bed frame with a grip on the end, (I certainly could) that was a bit higher than the mattress, you would have lots of operational margins in transferring
    How would you do it. I don't have tube bending tools so I think I would have a adapt an existing one.

I'm assuming the bed frame is 90* angle and flush with the mattress.
    Easiest first thought would be 1/4" x 2" mild steel flat stock fun up the side and a tubular T handle welded to the top. drill and bolt to rail V1.0

V1.1: You could notch the bottom end back say 1/4" on both sides and make a receiver to bolt to the frame rail; that would be removable/pull up/out.

V2.1: mount it on a lug and slot it so you can lift it 1/2" or so. Up ~3", weld a tab on one side with an inverted U to register onto another lug for use/upright position; lift and for down alongside bed; maybe weld a stop on the device frame (you'd have to fabricate this on a backlit, then drill and screw it to the bed-frame rail) to limit how far it fold down.

V2.2: The angle iron of most bed frames is pretty flimsy in the torsional area! Perhaps care would be needed to not push laterally too hard. If concerned about that, one could tag some 1x2 rectangular tubing to the assy plate below the rail and tie it to the other rail yielding a very sturdy device.
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Love to see a picture, I'm always looking for new ideas.--------------------------
    Here you go.
    The straight tube rests on the foot plate lock latch through-bolt and swivels as you transfer. The grip is a cycle end bar
    Ideally it needs another 25 mm length but I was stuck with what I had available as straight, true stock.

Worldwide Patent pending
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-11-2019 at 04:36 AM.