Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable cushion

I just use a small piece of plywood (12x12) with a pillow on top to help me transfer. I don't sit on the wood, just use it under my hand to lift me up higher.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Yes, but on the positive side they are not only height adjustable, they incline in both direction, under the knee can be elevated to take load off the lumber region and lastly, the head end can be incline adjust from horizontal to 90 degrees.

I cannot sleep well in a conventional bed now and for a good sleep I prefer my hospital bed.
    There is a drawback to the head end incline adjust feature. When the power fails you are stuck if you don't have battery back-up.

Three nights ago I had the pleasure of sleeping in the upright position when the power failed at midnight.
    It was bliss until 5.30 am when the power was reinstated.
    They have very inexpensive battery backups (UPS), $40.

My bed has the head and feet incline feature but not height.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I just use a small piece of plywood (12x12) with a pillow on top to help me transfer. I don't sit on the wood, just use it under my hand to lift me up higher.
    I can see how that would be helpful. The problem I see is that it takes me basically three lifts (shoulder compressions) to get on the chair. My bed hand is positioned right next to my thigh, after the first lift I reposition my hands, the hand on the bed ends up moving to where my butt use to be. So it seems I would only get one push with my hand on the board. I use to transfer in one lift from bed to chair but those days are gone. I really should try something like the board/cushion idea, maybe I'd get farther onto the chair with my first lift. Did you glue the cushion to the board or do you just lay it on top?

Would you consider re-thinking the power bed ("hospital bed") idea? Your shoulders are getting a major workout with some of the methods suggested for transferring. I'm someone who was paralyzed 70 yrs ago, but just in last 10 years had to go with a power bed. We have a back-up battery for it. If you are healthy and can use your shoulders I'd consider this as it will help you for years ahead.
    It will allow you to do "gravity transfers" as you have described. We use transfer boards and make them extra slippery with frequent Pledge use, and place a piece of cloth when transferring.
    Medicare covers a portion of this type of cost. Hopefully you will discuss with your doctor in case you need to go this route and get a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I can see how that would be helpful. The problem I see is that it takes me basically three lifts (shoulder compressions) to get on the chair. My bed hand is positioned right next to my thigh, after the first lift I reposition my hands, the hand on the bed ends up moving to where my butt use to be. So it seems I would only get one push with my hand on the board. I use to transfer in one lift from bed to chair but those days are gone. I really should try something like the board/cushion idea, maybe I'd get farther onto the chair with my first lift. Did you glue the cushion to the board or do you just lay it on top?
    Originally I put the pillow on top. Then I (actually my girl friend the crafty one) got fancy. Yoga mat from wally world, cut to size and piled up, even glued them together with 3M spray glue and stapled a cover over it. Fancy huh? Now I got a new mattress with much stiffer sides, so I don't need the board. I'm 72 and must be lucky. I do push ups every morning and can transfer pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Originally I put the pillow on top. Then I (actually my girl friend the crafty one) got fancy. Yoga mat from wally world, cut to size and piled up, even glued them together with 3M spray glue and stapled a cover over it. Fancy huh? Now I got a new mattress with much stiffer sides, so I don't need the board. I'm 72 and must be lucky. I do push ups every morning and can transfer pretty well.
    That's good to hear. Are you quad or para? A 72yr old quad doing pushups sounds awesome, even a 72yr old para is impressive.

Tried your cushion on a board idea and really like the results. So my son and I cut a piece of plywood 14x14 and velcro'd an old 14x14 wheelchair cushion (I'm not that size anymore) to it. Thinks it's going to help, I'm curious what it's going to be like the first transfer in the morning, that's the hardest because that's when I'm the weakest.

triumph,

Yeah my shoulders are a problem thank God for NSAIDs. Two issues with the bed, finding one that lowers enough to have a 19" top of mattress to floor height and the cost. I know the day is coming but when it does I'm thinking of going with a ceiling lift and track system because by then I'll probably have problems with toilet and shower transfers. Also, today I tried my air cushion between the mattress and box springs and it seems to work. It needs some tweaking but it seem to have potential and it's a lot cheaper than a bed. btw - do you remember how much Medicare chipped in and will they still pay if you get a Full/Queen size??

Thanks for the replies!!!

That's good to hear. Are you quad or para? A 72yr old quad doing pushups sounds awesome, even a 72yr old para is impressive.

Tried your cushion on a board idea and really like the results. So my son and I cut a piece of plywood 14x14 and velcro'd an old 14x14 wheelchair cushion (I'm not that size anymore) to it. Thinks it's going to help, I'm curious what it's going to be like the first transfer in the morning, that's the hardest because that's when I'm the weakest.

triumph,

Yeah my shoulders are a problem thank God for NSAIDs. Two issues with the bed, finding one that lowers enough to have a 19" top of mattress to floor height and the cost. I know the day is coming but when it does I'm thinking of going with a ceiling lift and track system because by then I'll probably have problems with toilet and shower transfers. Also, today I tried my air cushion between the mattress and box springs and it seems to work. It needs some tweaking but it seem to have potential and it's a lot cheaper than a bed. btw - do you remember how much Medicare chipped in and will they still pay if you get a Full/Queen size??

Sorry, don't remember what amount Medicare covered. Sounds like you have some solutions and great that it's working out.

triumph,

T6 para. Yea advil and keniseo tape are my friends. I use to have a couple bar bells (5 Lbs) to use when I woke up. Loosened up all these old parts. Graduated to push ups. I do one a month/day. July 9=16. Why not make a bed pedestal the height to match your chair? That's what I did. Couple pieces of plywood and 2x4s. I use to use 2x6's but the mattress have gotten so thick, had to use smaller wood. Thats the problem with being old-smaller wood.

I keep wondering if cheap linear motors aren't the solution.
    Maybe even only a pair on the side you transfer from?
    You don't need a lot of travel, <4" would do it.
    Cut off the legs and let the actuator replace them.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=120v+line...l_552wtgu9bm_b

But then, I'm a fabricating fool
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

baldfatdAD, That's funny, lmao

pfcs49, That's an interesting idea. my frame/box springs is already sitting on the floor so no legs to remove. But might still be possible, though wiring multiple actuators might be out of my league.

Thanks