Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable cushion

Inflatable cushion

Because of my injury (C5/6) and age (66) I'm starting to have real problems transferring from the bed to my chair, especially in the morning, I have more strength later in the day. Getting in is still ok because it's a little down hill and transferring down hill is always easier.

My thought was to put an inflatable cushion in between the mattress and box spring, position right below where I sit on the edge of the bed when I'm getting ready to transfer. Mangar makes something that looks like it might work but at $500 it's more than I want to spend. I'm not sure it will even solve my problem. https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...caAszMEALw_wcB

I really only need 2-3 inches of lift to be level. I should be able to rig something up cheaper. There are lots of inflatable cushions but the trick is I want a power air pump permanently attached to the cushion so I can just flick a switch or press a button. I could use a portable air pump but I would need the cushion to have a long extension on the filling tube so I could easily grab it and attach it to the air pump. I can't be bending down with the pump and trying to attach it to the filling plug. I just don't bend, got to much spasticity.

If anyone has done something like this or has any suggestions, I appreciate hearing from you.

wes4dbt - Would it be practical in your case to permanently alter the height of your bed so that bed-to-chair and chair-to-bed transfers do not involve a height difference?

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    wes4dbt - Would it be practical in your case to permanently alter the height of your bed so that bed-to-chair and chair-to-bed transfers do not involve a height difference?
    Thought about it. Would make getting out of bed easier but would make getting in bed more difficult. The bed is actually even with my chair but when I sit on the edge it sinks 2-3 inched. I know I'm asking a lot because basically I want the transfer to be downhill both ways. I know I'm coming to a point in my life where I'm going to need some type of lifting system, (been looking at ceiling lifts but the cost OUCH). It's just I've been independent for 42+ yrs post injury years and I'm not ready to give in just yet. I ordered an air cushion from Amazon (actually a couple different ones) going to stick it between the box frame and mattress, sit on the edge of the bed and inflate it. This is just a proof of concept test. If it makes transferring easier I'll be willing to spend some money and fine tune to process. If I can get one more year of independence then I'll consider it a win, hell even six months.

Thanks for the reply.

A hospital bed frame would be height adjustable. I think you can find them fairly cheap, especially used. IMO that would be a great solution.

My transfers out of bed have gotten more difficult. I've found that folding a foam pillow in half and using it under my hand makes a big difference.
    There's always sliding boards too.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Problem with hospital beds is that they're hospital beds.

My transfers out of bed have gotten more difficult. I've found that folding a foam pillow in half and using it under my hand makes a big difference.
    I've thought about trying something like like. Does the extra height help you get more lift? My problem would be that the hand that is on the bed is basically a fist, can't open it up but still might be able to come up with some. thanks.

I've looked at queen size beds that have adjustable height and they're pricey, plus most of them don't go low enough. I believe my bed is only 18 or 19 inches from top of mattress to the floor. Thanks

A sliding board doesn't work. I've got no real gap, my chair is up against my bed, there's just a height difference and a sliding board would just be pointing up at a 45 degree angle. At least all the ones I've seen.

A sliding board doesn't work. I've got no real gap, my chair is up against my bed, there's just a height difference and a sliding board would just be pointing up at a 45 degree angle. At least all the ones I've seen.

Move the chair and use a 3' board, however, in my case, I sleep naked so sliding is a problem. There are boards that have a little "saddle" that rolls in a track.

Re "hospital beds": you only need a bed that raises and lowers. If it still is too high, investigate the possibility of just sawing off some of the legs.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

When looking for a new mattress, I stumbled upon a foam mattress that the foam on sides was of a stiffer material (designed for better transfers). It has multi density foams where you lay.
    I didn't buy it but almost did. https://www.vitalitymedical.com/span...tress-max.html
    Not sure it will help you, just a thought.

Mattress side/edge is where I've had my fall issues.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Yes, but on the positive side they are not only height adjustable, they incline in both direction, under the knee can be elevated to take load off the lumber region and lastly, the head end can be incline adjust from horizontal to 90 degrees.

I cannot sleep well in a conventional bed now and for a good sleep I prefer my hospital bed.
    There is a drawback to the head end incline adjust feature. When the power fails you are stuck if you don't have battery back-up.

Three nights ago I had the pleasure of sleeping in the upright position when the power failed at midnight.
    It was bliss until 5.30 am when the power was reinstated.

Blog Entries
    ’m sorry I’m not sure I understand.

If you want a power height adjustable base for your current bed, I have seen those and will look again. If you find it please let me know because that is what I need. You set up said inflatable...

** the mattress genie might work if you lay it longways under the mattress, but very very loud
    https://www.rehabmart.com/product/ma...nie-31832.html

but maybe something like this (notice the alternatives along the side of the page
    https://www.rehabmart.com/product/ra...ion-46534.html

Admit I don’t understand this one at all
    https://www.rehabmart.com/product/pr...ace-46990.html

There also are a number of adjustable treatment tables.