Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Inflatable cushion

Last edited by slow_runner; 07-11-2019 at 04:34 AM.

slow runner, Thanks for the pics, that is a very cool little handle. It's simple and could be very helpful.

baldfatdad (or should I just call you BFD???), Just to give you an idea of what my bed is like, https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Adjus...%2C205&sr=8-11

That's not my exact frame but close (but with no legs). Don't know what the platform (box springs) is made of but it has some padding. Anyway, I'm doing ok with the cushion/board for now.

This is our bed. My wife found and wanted it before I got hurt, and turns out to be great for me!
    Every time we go to a motel, I feel like a fly on flypaper with nothing to grip in order to easily roll over or scoot up or down! (I ripped the wall mounted headboard off at one place!)

This bed-frame is a very sturdy anchor for moving around and I love it!
    Also, the night-table, lagged to the wall is a great help in torquing my corpus-delectus to a sitting position.

And, no, we don't make our bed when no one's coming over
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-11-2019 at 05:37 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

That's funny, I put a cinder block inside my night table because I use it to help me sit up. I have a very firm mattress which helps with rolling back and forth but I can't lay in one spot more that 2 or three hours because of shoulder pain. Once I put a 2inch foam pad on and it was super comfortable and I could lay in one position much longer. But I felt like a turtle on it's back, couldn't hardly move, like I was stuck in mud. I hate hotel beds, can't get into most of them without help because they're so dam high and not able to move around much because they're to soft. I've really cut back on the amount I travel. I'm jealous of that headboard,, sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    That's funny, I put a cinder block inside my night table because I use it to help me sit up. I have a very firm mattress which helps with rolling back and forth but I can't lay in one spot more that 2 or three hours because of shoulder pain. Once I put a 2inch foam pad on and it was super comfortable and I could lay in one position much longer. But I felt like a turtle on it's back, couldn't hardly move, like I was stuck in mud. I hate hotel beds, can't get into most of them without help because they're so dam high and not able to move around much because they're to soft. I've really cut back on the amount I travel. I'm jealous of that headboard,, sweet.
    Yes, it's something to look for in a bed, but I can't claim any credit. It was bought purely on her aesthetic. And I don't think even now it would have occurred to me, but I promise you, it's a REALLY HANDY feature if you're a gimp!

It's brushed stainless, and very strong/can't bend the slats. I think she had it shipped from New Mexico where some guy makes them. If there's interest, I could see if she has the info, but it's been 25 years!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Thanks but I've got it handled for now and I'm to cheap to spend that kind of money unless it's absolutely necessary. lol

pfcs49, Just realized I sent the picture of the bed to the wrong person. Meant to send it to you so you would see the problem with you transfer handle idea. But I think I'll just be happy with my current transfer method (cushion/board) for now.

If anyone is interested, my idea of raising my bed height using an inflatable cushion is working quiet nicely.

I put one of these in between the box spring and mattress', positioned under where I sit on the edge of the bed when getting up.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adapted some tubing to connect to this,
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...37KN/302634287

Already had the inflator.

Then after 32 seconds of air, I'm sitting about 2-3 inches higher and the transfer is much easier.

It needs some refinement but I've proven the concept works well for me and is worth investing more time/money.

[QUOTE=wes4dbt;1883455...

Adapted some tubing to connect to this,
    ...[/QUOTE]

I'm liking your idea of using inflatables. How did you connect tubing to the cushion?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I'm liking your idea of using inflatables. How did you connect tubing to the cushion?
    I cut the end with the clamp off of this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then used a couple of different sizes of this
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/UDP-1-4-...6005/304185147

A tubing splicer to join them. The tubing actually fit very tightly inside the blow up spout of the cushion. I was going to glue/clamp things together but so far I haven't had too.