Thread: Making electronica hand controls out of a cookie tin

Making electronica hand controls out of a cookie tin

Well?? A little hyperbole there!
    But here's the cookie tin. (NEVER THROW GOOD STUFF OUT!)

Linked here is original FBW (fly by wire) electronic hand control thread from my GTI which are still in use 13 years since made.Hand control for newer vehicles with electronic throttles
    13 years ago when I bought my 06 GTI with electronic throttle, I started making a compact reliable removable throttle module that I could move around if I wanted to. I got some plastic machined and had a plan in my head and then it just sat for 13 years. I made up a half assed throttle module by gutting the accelerator pedal and hanging it from the wiring because the cable had to work backwards. Because of the six pin connector being right in the way of where you would want to put the throttle cable, I had to make it so the whole assembly moved and the slider inside remain stationary (for 13 years) but now there's movement!

Now my wife got a 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country which will definitely require that the control handle be removable when she's driving because she can't stand something like that in a way have her turn signal!

To make one of these controls I need a male and a female connector just like the ones at the electronic accelerator pedal. The only way I know to source the male connector is to cut it off and existing Accelerator pedal and I did.
    The female plug that connects to the pedal has been in use in Volvos since 2016, but guess what? It's not available yet! I have been all over the Internet including JUNKYARDS in Europe trying to source a connector and 6 inches or more of harness. I think I finally found somebody that is sending me one and they will be shipping it Monday with any luck!
    Then I will make up a harness with male and female plug to be inserted between the cars throttle sender and wiring harness connector/plug.
    This connects power and ground for both the foot throttle and the hand throttles.
    And it brings the two signal wires from the chassis and two from the foot throttle up to the steering column where a switch will choose foot or hand throttle.

I have built a new throttle module with an RJ 32 connector inside it, but only using six of its circuits. I am waiting to get the chassis harness so I can see what the color codes are and try to come up with sensible color codes in my hand control harness that match the manufacturers colors. Volvo chose a sensible arrangement for the 6 pins:

There is a photo of the Volvo pedal Module that I cut down. If push comes to show of I?ll make a control with that big monstrosity on it but I am hoping that the parameters of the Volvo sander match the Volkswagen/Audi one. Space I won?t know that Until I am able to make up the harness and plug into the wife?s car to check the parameters. I have enough machine housings to make two more throttles. For sure my 2015 GTI Will be getting a new righteous compact Module! Hopefully I can do the same in the Volvo. I hate it when stuff like this stops me in my tracks! More to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-25-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

The guy with the badge keeps scaring me, that u?
    Anyways I wanted to do this with my Chevy van but chickened out cause I didn't think I'd ever get the 6 wires figured out correctly. I think they have one set as a backup duplicating the drive set. And I could not find a male plug to make a pigtail Y connector. What I wanted to do was to plug a pigtail into the pedal and stick the factory plug into a female outlet in my pigtale Y. The loose end of the Y would go up to the steering wheel. Somewhere there would be an either or switch. With a little guts and "who cares" a guy could just tap (er cut) into the factory wiring and avoid a lot of this.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Apparently you can only load five photos to post, So here are the rest. I also don?t find a way to rearrange them inside the text or even to change the order of the photos to make more sense so you?re stuck with what I shot.
    Unfortunately Volkswagen and Audi in their infinite wisdom scrambled the six pins in no sensible order whatsoever! Volvo on the other hand made a very sensible stack of pins that are easy to keep track of!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-25-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    NW NJ

In post 2, is that black thing that looks like it came from a wrecking yard a Volvo gas pedal part or as you said throttle which might be located somewhere else? I only ask because it looks partially disassembled. I have taken apart a Jaguar gas electronic pedal to get the springs out of it since it was too hard to hand squeeze. Booooiing, parts flew everywhere, there was no putting it back together.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Sweet, you could even check the voltage when the time comes. My guess is the uref is +5

If somebody showed me how, I'd delete the second and now redundant post!!

AFAIK, all the electronic throttles have six wires, two sets of three, each being Ground (-), Reference Voltage (+), and signal which ranges from 0v (closed) to Ref V or Ref V/2 (half) at full throttle.

Yes, It's me with my Stroud Centennial Band shirt from yesterday's concert.
    Young? At 72 I'm starting to slow down a little but I am pretty well preserved-what of me works at least.

And here for your viewing pleasure is the harness I made of for Julie's 2001 V70 T5 that she drove from 80K to ~250K. I hope the new one is half as good as this one was! This had BIG easily hacked connectors. Also, the new stuff is all electronic, Halls sensors like in digital micrometers. The 2001 T5 had two potentiometers with big old-fashioned sweeps over resistive material.

The connectors on the new Volvos (vars 16^ w/2L 4cyl) are tiny! ~16mm from pin 1 to 6.........and unobtanium
    At least the pins are in order

When I get a connector and harness, I'll make up a T harness with the chopped off male soldered onto it (FLAKY! This will need to be bulletproof. I think I'll epoxy the wiring where it's soldered to the six exposed pins so it can't flex at all!)
    Then i will be able to insert my new T harness, leaving it in foot control mode (both signal wires from pedal sensor in-circuit), but easy to access my terminal strip and check the values. The VW/Audi system uses two 5v references and I thing one side of the VW/Audi goes to 2.5V @WOT while the other goes to 5V.
    I will check that soon only GTI as well as to check that the hand control goes to full throttle compared to the pedal (check & compare voltages). It would be nice to find a whole lot more power! It hasn't been checked since I built the system for my first GTI in 2006.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-25-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    If somebody showed me how, I'd delete the second and now redundant post!!...
    Edit and delete contents. The post will remain. It will be empty.

Actually you look quite young in that pic. How did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    In post 2, is that black thing that looks like it came from a wrecking yard a Volvo gas pedal part or as you said throttle which might be located somewhere else? I only ask because it looks partially disassembled. I have taken apart a Jaguar gas electronic pedal to get the springs out of it since it was too hard to hand squeeze. Booooiing, parts flew everywhere, there was no putting it back together.
    Yes. That's a 2018 Volvo sender and internal "bell crank", liberated from a junkyard pedal assy. The springs inside are replaced with an appropriately soft one, and you can see the red phillips screw inside where I modified the arm of the rotary sensor for a cable actuation. (VWs are linear/push pull; you can see the spherical Halls sensors on the green Volvo circuitboard.) If I can't use the VW sensor in the Volvo, I'll have to adapt this hacked unit but won't like it!

Here's what the 01 potentiometer type looks like, similarly chopped up to smaller useable size; pretty big!

You can see the 6 pin "microphone" connector that mates with the other sex from the harness. This control was rarely used and kept in the spare tire well. I never even painted it, although the CV joint ball welded in the end of the tube is a nice feature! It socketed into a larger tube which was the brake lever of the always installed linkage on the car. There are slots in the end of the removable hand part that engage a cross-bolt in the brake arm/tube. It went in easy and stayed put-very convenient when I needed a wagon!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-25-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    NW NJ