Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyota vans vs. Chrysler?

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Do you not have agreed value policies over your way Art?

I like your style August as that is the way I would go too.
    It is what I immediately thought of when reading dpatrick's opener.

I liked the Econoline. As I recall, they were a popular custom van at one time; weren't they?
    Modern vehicles have too much doo-dads and electrics for my liking, too much to go wrong- and it does according to our local AA man.

Good luck with yours Patrick.
    Thanks SR. It was the wife, I swear, who talked me into a new van. It was too low slung for her liking; scraped over every speed bump and steeper driveways. . Was thinking about checking out if there was a way to raise it a couple inches. Would make all the difference. Still may check it out.

Yep the old Econolines were perfect for custom vans.Other than my '39 Willies Ford Panel truck, it was about the only Ford I liked. I had a '74 Econoline with a mural of a sailing ship on each side, tuck and roll ceiling and sides, shag carpet and bed in the back with electric lanterns for lights in the back. Also had a quadraphonic stereo playing The Doors and Eagles lol. And a CB radio and antennas on the mirrors.

I went into an underground parking garage in Vancouver, Canada and forgot about height and CB antennas. Looked in the mirror and saw it was all dark behind me with popping noises going on. It was the antennas breaking every neon light I passed. Left right away with the attendant looking quizedly out his booth at the darkness behind me. As I turned the corner loads and loads of broken light flew off the top into the street. I hate to think what it cost them to replace it all. Was perfect going to various wheelchair tournaments etc.. Rather than sleep in the dorms, I'd sleep in the van. Being single at the time, perfect den for getting laid. A true shaggin' wagon without a doubt. . Ah the good old times with simpler vehicles. The new Pacificas and others have 81 computers plus any running the conversion part. Kind of makes me cringe thinking about it. Thanks guys, you have me double thinking the decision on a new one lol. I figure if anything. When I pass the wife will make a few bucks off it as the insurance paid 43 G's for the conversion.

Good looking van August.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I think if you told the insurance company that you want to insure it for more they will be glad to provide the service (take more of your money).
    Seems like the older they are the more desirable they are. Best thing is that your local mechanic can fix just about anything. No one except the dealers can fix some problems on the newer vans. Of the 10 vintage vans at this Las Vegas auction 4 are Econolines or custom Fords.
    https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...ans-to-auction
    If it is agreed value then that is fair enough. Right off = agreed value pay out.
    I had an older Ford Transit, the uglier MK1 not the later square faced unit, that I slotted a Falcon 200 motor into. There used to be a nose extension that allowed a straight drop-in but that caused too much weight out front.
    Standard 4 speed Transit box and a MK3Zephyr diff head in the rear.
    I built mounts, modified the sump that allowed the engine to sit back over the cross member. It steered beauty; no power assist needed. Between the driver and passenger seat sat a 'customised' wash-room laundry tub that covered the engine intrusion & box.
    Cheviot Turbo mags too.
    I recall removing the tyres so I could get that van through the garage doors.
    We took the children to a few places in that old van....
    If there had been an Econoline available down here, that would have been my preferred choice.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-03-2019 at 03:53 AM.

Do your best with convincing your good wife of the sense in retaining what suits you best Patrick.
    Say it with flowers????
    Raising a vehicle a couple of inches doesn't appear to be an involved process. New wheels and tyres would be a easy, simple start.

Your old '74 sounds ideal. Great memories eh?

P.S
    43 G's for the conversion.
    Only $64500 NZ? That's nothing mate
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-03-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Lol, no convincing SR. She lays out her valid points and mine to her. Flowers; she has two acres of flowers. Yep, did the largest tires available years ago. Just the way the van conversions were back then. This forum brings back many good memories of youth gone old. God Bless the wives and husbands!
    I don't want to hijack this thread from dPatrick. It's a big decision for him. I figure I don't have a lot of years left so took the offer from my insurance to update the vehicle conversion.

I have had a 2019 Braun Foldout Sienna since Dec and I like it a lot. I have Featherlite hand controls and a B&D transfer seat, I use a manual chair. A couple thoughts, Sienna?s only come in one drop from Braun and have the lowest ramp angle of 7.6 degrees for a foldout. The Pacifica has the most room between the front and rear seats but the Sienna has the most cargo space behind the rear seats. I can still spin my chair (MC Apex) with the footrest for rear seat down. I really don?t think it would work with Smartdrive hanging off the back. Braun moved the rear seat back 6 in. about 2017.
    The Sienna has blind spot, cross traffic monitoring and lane departure assist standard, great A/C, and does ride/drive nice. Mine is an SE trim so 19 inch tires and upgrade suspension/ steering rack. 2018 and up can have Apple CarPlay.
    Patrick is correct in that the electric e brake is easier to use than old school pedal, I use a collapsed walking stick to press mine, works fine but I would rather hit a switch. I?m not sure about the shifter but I have no issues with it.
    i think there?s some confusion about ownership of these Companies, Permobil owns Braun and an investment firm Nautic Partners still owns VMI.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    If there had been an Econoline available down here, that would have been my preferred choice.
    I got lucky and didn't even know how lucky at the time. This econoline was the second van I looked at. I'm glad I was the first one to look at it on the first day it was advertised. Because it wouldn't have lasted 2 days. It was in decent shape with a full conversion including transfer seat for a very reasonable price. After I bought it I kept looking for a transfer seat (I wanted a second one for the passenger side). I looked for months and noticed nothing like the van I bought was available. Most were in worse shape, less equipped, and more expensive. Seems like most vans advertised as handicap accessible have just a lift and not the rest of the conversion. Most vans that have power doors or hand controls don't have a transfer seat. The transfer seat has been the hardest option to find. Still haven't found one to date. Just goes to show, you should move on a good thing when you have the chance because it may not last.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

(i think there?s some confusion about ownership of these Companies, Permobil owns Braun and an investment firm Nautic Partners still owns VMI.)

Thanks Stsmark, the old brain cells, blurry eyes and bad hearing gets in the way sometimes. I assumed Kersey bought out the two speaking with Mike Jensen, owner of Kersey in Renton and Everett Wa. It must be Kersey has added Braun to their line of conversions for sale.

Great looking van there August. Gas was like 56 cents a gallon when I owned my '74 Econoline.

I take the Pacifica I'm returning in for warranty work Monday. Then will drive down to Woodinville to drop it off to have the equipment changed over to the new van with the proper drop floor depth 10". I wonder if the mixup with drop floor depth is due to Braun only having one depth for the Sienna? Is that 14"? I really disliked having to raise the seat up and down 4" every time I transferred or reaching for something in the pouch on my chair. Sitting in the back preparing to transfer felt like sitting in a pit. Especially with the all black interior and floor. The folding ramp seems longer than my infloor VMI. Is is longer or just seem that way because of the lower 14" drop and less angle? Any more difficult with enough space to get out in a hc parking space? Using the ZX1 now so jumping the ledge on the side of the ramp will be a bit more challenging. There's always someone parking 6" inside the crosshatched area.

I'm looking forward getting this exchange all done. It's been a long frustrating adventure. Not looking forward to the two times I'll need to drive down to Woodinville and back.

Sorry to hear it. They’ll get it right. Happy 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I got lucky and didn't even know how lucky at the time. This econoline was the second van I looked at. I'm glad I was the first one to look at it on the first day it was advertised. Because it wouldn't have lasted 2 days. It was in decent shape with a full conversion including transfer seat for a very reasonable price. After I bought it I kept looking for a transfer seat (I wanted a second one for the passenger side). I looked for months and noticed nothing like the van I bought was available. Most were in worse shape, less equipped, and more expensive. Seems like most vans advertised as handicap accessible have just a lift and not the rest of the conversion. Most vans that have power doors or hand controls don't have a transfer seat. The transfer seat has been the hardest option to find. Still haven't found one to date. Just goes to show, you should move on a good thing when you have the chance because it may not last.
    Wow Auggie, Is that the same van we talked about when you were looking? I bought a brand new van back then, but now I am starting to like my old 2002 better. BTW Patrick, it is a 10 inch drop Grand Caravan with 5 inch clearance. Something is odd here.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nonoise, There were big changes in 2001 where the clearance was raised up with 2002 a little higher. The new Pacifica Braun 10" drop is around 6.5 clearance. I changed out the front shocks a couple years ago hoping for better clearance. Never have changed out the rear due to how hard they are to get to. Whoever gets it will be getting a good van, just need to get used to going slowly over speed bumps and steeper driveways. T&C Limiteds hold up really well at least this one has. only 170G miles on it being 20 years old. Is that vintage now? I'm sure it can be raised an inch or so. Not something I want to deal with. Will be nice having a van with better clearance.

If I had to pay for the whole package I would have gone used with a few miles on it. Insurance wants a van three years of newer which is why I went with a 2018 bought in March. The 2019 is a compromise being the only one on the lot. It has the S package like the 2018 so no big deal, just had to put a few bucks in. Just want a van with leather and 10" drop.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-04-2019 at 01:58 AM.