Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyota vans vs. Chrysler?

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Wow Auggie, Is that the same van we talked about when you were looking? I bought a brand new van back then, but now I am starting to like my old 2002 better. BTW Patrick, it is a 10 inch drop Grand Caravan with 5 inch clearance. Something is odd here.
    We were talking about the Chevy Explorer. That was the first one I saw. I passed on that one. There was a tube TV installed above the front seats that lowered the ceiling so much that I hit my head during transfer. The Braun lift was a large hydraulic beast and slow. Seemed like trouble to me. My Econoline has a Ricon Uni-Lite lift. It's compact, electric, fast, and simple. I can maintain and repair it myself.

long live the braun rotary. smallest side of van clearance required of any lift. in demand for parts for those that have them.

the mechanics loved them too. old reliable.

^^^^^Braun Swing Away. No better lift, even the mobility dealers don't like them because they rarely fail, and anyone with minium mechanical talent can repair them. All of the critical parts can be bought off the shelf.

I like how you get on/off the Braun Swing Away from the side. That way you can park in the smaller HP spots vs the larger ones. The Ricon Uni-Lite is capable of this too. There is a version of the Uni-Lite that has a cutout on the side panel of the platform in order to get on the lift from the side. They don't offer that in USA anymore for regulatory reasons. But you can easily cut the side panel.

Here's what the Ricon Uni-Lite has going for it. It's 100 lbs lighter, smaller when stowed (doesn't block the passenger seat like the Braun), no hydraulics (less to fail), faster, quieter, more refined appearance (Braun looks industrial), and is still in production.

Here's what the Braun has going for it. It can lift 800 lbs (Ricon lifts 600 lbs), smaller when deployed (more parking options).

800 lbs vs 600 lbs shouldn't matter to most people. But the smaller deployed size may matter depending on where you live. Where I live, I don't need it to be any smaller. I think the Ricon has more going for it. If you want the Braun Swing Away, there is one for sale on Ebay for $1.3K.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by August West; 07-04-2019 at 06:24 PM.

how wide are these vans with the ramp extended out
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

My Econoline is 75" wide. My Uni-Lite platform is 40". It starts 6" away from the side of the van so it ends 46" from the side of the van for an overall width of 121". Uni-Lite also offers shorter platforms. The shortest is 36". That would make the overall width 117".

The Braun Swing Away platform is 46". Not sure how far away from the side of the van it starts. But it can't start flush with the van and has to have some clearance. That means the Swing Away needs more than 121" overall space - 4" more compared to the smallest Uni-lite.

I am surprised to find the Uni-Lite is so much smaller. The Swing Away looks smaller. Maybe it's an optical illusion because it's more square vs rectangular shape. But this difference may not matter much. Because ADA specs for HP parking spots are at least 156" and may be 192". Hence both lifts can be used in the smaller HP spots.

The width comes into play when you use a minivan. The Pacifica is 79" wide and the ramp adds at least 52" (could be more) for an overall width of 131". Plus you need at least 30" (preferably 36") turning radius. Hence the overall required parking space width is 161" min and 167" nominal.

Conclusion: A full size van equipped with either the Braun Swing Away or Ricon Uni-Lite (modified with cut side panel) may be parked in the smaller HP spots whereas minivans equipped with a ramp may not be parked in the smaller HP spots and would require the large HP parking spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by August West; 07-05-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks for all the responses. I?ve actually thought about what August posted.
    i had the tranny rebuilt 2 mos ago so that?s done and it runs great.i do oil changes every 5 k with full synthetic.
    ive had the van since new,it came from NorCal mobility in CA.it has a 9? drop floor,they are the best as they sloped the floor nice up under the brake & gas pedals to accommodate the foot rests on w/chair..btw I use a power chair,Invacare Storm with tilt in space,my backup is a Quickie s646,no tilt.
    because it has a lowered floor,the original gas tank was removed and replaced with a custom tank...when this custom tank rusted and started leaking about 3 yrs ago,it took me 3 mos to get a new one made from same company..they did me a big favor though cause they don?t make them anymore,so I?d be screwed if this one goes on me for some reason..and yes,I did get it sealed& coated well by a good body guy and get it checked before every winter.im in NY where they salt roads in winter. This tank thing is one reason I think of updating.
    I agree with slow runner re: all the electronics n do dads,I?m not a big fan of that either.
    the one reason why I think of getting a new one is because,as I?m still working part time for last 6 yrs,im eligible for funding from Access VR in NY,our state voc rehab.dept. I?m 62 now,so once I stop working I?m no longer eligible.
    im also a Vet, so I?m eligible for the equip that?s only necessary for me to be transported,lift,door openers,lockdown and lowered floor..that funding is there if I?m working or not..I got a close price on a new Toyota,$82 k,so 42k is for all mods which would be covered,my cost would be approx 40 k..so that?s a huge reason I?m thinking up getting something new so I can get the $ from Access VR and the VA.
    id probably still keep my Econoline and drive in winter and use for backup. I like the big vans like my econoline,,I got the parking down,the gas hurts pocked a little though.
    thanks guys,great responses.

Thanks for all the responses. I?ve actually thought about what August posted.
    i had the tranny rebuilt 2 mos ago so that?s done and it runs great.i do oil changes every 5 k with full synthetic.
    ive had the van since new,it came from NorCal mobility in CA.it has a 9? drop floor,they are the best as they sloped the floor nice up under the brake & gas pedals to accommodate the foot rests on w/chair..btw I use a power chair,Invacare Storm with tilt in space,my backup is a Quickie s646,no tilt.
    because it has a lowered floor,the original gas tank was removed and replaced with a custom tank...when this custom tank rusted and started leaking about 3 yrs ago,it took me 3 mos to get a new one made from same company..they did me a big favor though cause they don?t make them anymore,so I?d be screwed if this one goes on me for some reason..and yes,I did get it sealed& coated well by a good body guy and get it checked before every winter.im in NY where they salt roads in winter. This tank thing is one reason I think of updating.
    I agree with slow runner re: all the electronics n do dads,I?m not a big fan of that either.
    the one reason why I think of getting a new one is because,as I?m still working part time for last 6 yrs,im eligible for funding from Access VR in NY,our state voc rehab.dept. I?m 62 now,so once I stop working I?m no longer eligible.
    im also a Vet, so I?m eligible for the equip that?s only necessary for me to be transported,lift,door openers,lockdown and lowered floor..that funding is there if I?m working or not..I got a close price on a new Toyota,$82 k,so 42k is for all mods which would be covered,my cost would be approx 40 k..so that?s a huge reason I?m thinking up getting something new so I can get the $ from Access VR and the VA. .40k is still a lot of money for me,,so not sure what too do.
    id probably still keep my Econoline and drive in winter and use for backup. I like the big vans like my econoline,,I got the parking down,the gas hurts pocked a little though.
    thanks guys,great responses.

If I had the room I only would've my ford Econoline with the Braun swing away. How I loved that thing. If one can still get partial reimbursement from OVR that is a good reason for getting one before one stops working.

I?m sorry,,what does ?something is odd here? mean?
    i think I?m keeping my 06 econoline...still thinking though.
    take care