Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting in pool without actual pool lift

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

getting in pool without actual pool lift

we have an old hoyer to get on edge but that first step in until buyance helps is tricky. any quads come up with easy way.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

This is one way of getting in...but how he gets out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJpTLcgJD1Y

This looks risky...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtxMaBttrTg

i would drownd getting in that way.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I do not like to go swimming...maybe has something to do with my injury having happened while swimming in the Pacific ocean. And I hate being cold.

That said, once I got into my parents swimming pool in Phoenix, AZ. NL transferred me into a nylon webbed outdoor chair and she and my brother in law lowered me into the pool and lifted me out the same way. I a tall, skinny guy and their technique was infallible, but I hated being in the pool.

When NL and I had a home in Los Angeles, we had a hot tub under a covered patio. NL installed barn door hardware over the spa and we used a hand operated winch attached to a sling with D rings. Sling underneath me, NL lifted me out of the chair with the winch. The sling was also attached to the barn door hardware. Then she would push me over the spa, and lower me into the HEATED spa with the winch. I also had a scuba diving weight belt to keep my butt from floating. That was comfortable and comforting. But it was a lot of work. Once out of the pool/spa, I needed to get dressed all over again.

Now in our current home we have a lovely pool, but I have no interest. That said, NL is poetry in motion when she is in the pool and I love watching her.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    we have an old hoyer to get on edge but that first step in until buyance helps is tricky. any quads come up with easy way.
    A pool lift would be best. Not cheap, but designed for that use. You can get ones that permanently mount on the deck, or are portable and can be moved to anyplace next to the pool. You can sometimes find them used.

https://abledata.acl.gov/products?search_api_views_fulltext=pool+lift&field _product_status=All&items_per_page=20

https://www.1800wheelchair.com/category/876/pool-lifts/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A pool lift would be best. Not cheap, but designed for that use. You can get ones that permanently mount on the deck, or are portable and can be moved to anyplace next to the pool. You can sometimes find them used.

https://abledata.acl.gov/products?search_api_views_fulltext=pool+lift&field _product_status=All&items_per_page=20

https://www.1800wheelchair.com/category/876/pool-lifts/

(KLD)
    need other options. thinking pool chair.

further thoughts?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    need other options. thinking pool chair.

further thoughts?
    Here are some other options:

1. Transfer onto a diving board, move down a bit, and then transfer off it into the water. It doesn't have to be a diving board. You just need a platform that goes over the water.
    2. Grab onto a handle on a hoist to lift yourself up onto the diving board (or whatever other platform).

$99.99 for this hoist. You'd have to install a frame for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post

1. Transfer onto a diving board, move down a bit, and then transfer off it into the water. It doesn't have to be a diving board. You just need a platform that goes over the water.
    2. Grab onto a handle on a hoist to lift yourself up onto the diving board (or whatever other platform).

I thought you liked John:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

thx, no diving board and im a quad so transfering into the pool doesnt go well. we use a lift to drop me to pull side on yoga matte then scoot down the stairs currently
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Instead of a diving board how about a slide and sling powered by the hoist?