Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Device To Power Manual Wheelchairs

Quote Originally Posted by ProPulse View Post
    As of today, top speed is 8mph. HOWEVER we just ordered some new parts that will up the power by around 35%-40%. That doesn't meant the final product will be 13mph (someone could get hurt) but the potential is there. We also just got back inside after doing some testing through extremely uneven Texas grass. Huge success! Sorry again for the delay everyone! There was a lot to think about with all of the suggestions. The entire team went through one by one and debated every one of them.
    Using 36V on the MX1 and a 36V controller I have had my SD MX1 hack up to 8mph. Believe me 8 mph is plenty fast. I was using a chair with 6 inch pneumatic casters, which were likely too small for that speed.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

...On your last point about insurance, would you consider buying a product out of pocket to skip the insurance approval process?
    Just a FWIW, I do not hear of many people shelling out of pocket. A few of us do. I am one even though I have excellent insurance and now medicare. I paid 3k for my first used SD. I have tried the insurance approval process a couple of times, it is just not worth the hassle to me for something that I can take control over.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

@oddity That's pretty much what I was thinking. The plan is to debut the "Alpha" device in December as a direct to user product. To thank these early adopters of the ProPulse, our plan is to give significant perks and a serious long term commitment from our team. BUT in the background we will be doing our FDA testing to get certification. This way the rest of the users can get the ProPulse through insurance within 2 years.

You're definitely right since they only use the power of gravity to assist in traction. We are taking a different direction. That way we can keep weight lower and traction much higher than the smart drive

@nonoise Yes, that's a good point.Most users have told us that they prefer going through insurance however, someusers have been denied the product and are forced to pay out of pocket! So, wewant our product to be as inexpensive as possible

@giles88 How fast were you thinking? Our top speed can go extremely high but we also want to balance it with the safety of the user. 8, 10, 12 mph?
    I don't know what the top speed of the smart drive is, but if you could bump up the speed a little bit faster than the SD, that would be perfect...for me. Also, how does one go about getting to demo one of these units? I would be interested in a doing a test and evaluation for you on your prototype.

@wheelin48
    It is easily mounted with magnetic assist to guide you to the right spot, you could mount it with your eyes closed!

weres it mount to any more videos im about to go for the smartdrive this maybe better
    im with giles88 on that id demo it for you too
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 07-27-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

@giles88 @wheelin48 Thank you so much for the offer guys! We are currently located in Dallas, any of you guys nearby? we could bring the prototype to you and have you test it to get some valuable feedback!

@wheelin48 the device mounts on the back wheelchair axel. We will be posting mounting videos soon, so stay tuned!

I'm in Austin. By Texas standards that's nearby. We have a wheelchair-centric community gym sponsored by the Lone Star Paralysis Foundation. Clients range from fully ambulatory to high quads. An OT there has specialized in wheelchair fitting and accessories as well as other adaptive equipment. They have a pretty steady stream of manufactures and distributors coming through to demo equipment. That was the 1st place I saw a smart drive when it was brand new. Depending on how much time you want to spend, you can arrange prototype testing with a variety of disability levels. Please send me a PM if you're interested and I can make the introduction.

@endo_aftermath Sent you a PM! Our team had been preparing for the Houston Abilities Expo while working on the device in parallel. Needless to say, it's been a crazy few weeks. Looking forward to speaking more with you

@wheelin 48 Video of the mount is posted on our instagram page! @citryneofficial. If you don't have social media, send me your phone number (via private PM) and I'll personally send it to you