Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Device To Power Manual Wheelchairs

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    ???? how to delete a post?
    Go to the lower right hand corner of your post. Hit edit.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ProPulse View Post
    @giles88 We are also still in the prototyping/testing phase so if you have any suggestions just throw them out there!
    If it's got the ability to have direct control (joystick) over propulsion, and the ability to go offroad, then you have the important things covered for me. The only other thing would be speed, it would be nice if it had the ability to go fast if the user wanted to.

@Nonoise Thank you so much for your feedback! we will address each of your concerns below.
    1. You are correct, the phrase ?360 degree turning?is confusing. We meant zero turn radius like you mentioned. We are adding a joystick so that users can easily turn with grabbing the wheelchair rims.
    2. We are working on different mounting techniques,including magnetic assist. The idea of magnetic assist is to ?guide? users to the right mounting spot and attach the product without much force needed.
    3. We are building the product to be as efficient as possible to extend battery life.
    4. With respect to steep inclines, having a second motor really helps! And a good wheel material is key to overcoming this problem. We will let you know how testing goes.
    5. We are currently testing different connection types for the joystick, but we agree with you on hard wire, it is very dependable!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us, we definitely pay attention and will get work on all your concerns!
    Last edited by ProPulse; 07-22-2019 at 10:45 PM.

@wheelin48
    It is easily mounted with magnetic assist to guide you to the right spot, you could mount it with your eyes closed!

Last edited by ProPulse; 07-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.

@oddity
    Sorry for the late response! Thank you for making greatpoints to be considered.
    Our idea was to make a product that reaches as many users as possible, that's why we added off-road. But you are right to say that it can't make the chair off-road! Great point ��
    On your last point about insurance, would you consider buying a product out of pocket to skip the insurance approval process?

@pfcs49
    Thank you so much for getting back to us, this is really great information!
    Safety is one of our priorities, so a well-thought-out braking solution will be added to final design.
    We love your mounting idea! It was a great drawing by the way �� We will test your idea and see how easy it is for users to mount and take off, certainly we will let you know how it goes.We do have magnets in place to guide the user for easy mounting. But we are still testing different handles easy to reach while being seated on the chair!
    Question: Would you like to mount the attachment, prior or after seating on the chair?
    With respect to 360: The attachment does have two motors,and they are separated by a distance that produces a moment on the WC axis when rotating at different RPMs. 360 spins are only possible from a dead stop,otherwise your statement is true! We will be posting videos showing it's capabilities, so stay tuned!
    Thanks again for your input, it is very useful!

@giles88 How fast were you thinking? Our top speed can go extremely high but we also want to balance it with the safety of the user. 8, 10, 12 mph?

I am also pleased to say that we took everyone's advice on the last post I made, almost all of our components are off the shelf so far

As of today, top speed is 8mph. HOWEVER we just ordered some new parts that will up the power by around 35%-40%. That doesn't meant the final product will be 13mph (someone could get hurt) but the potential is there. We also just got back inside after doing some testing through extremely uneven Texas grass. Huge success! Sorry again for the delay everyone! There was a lot to think about with all of the suggestions. The entire team went through one by one and debated every one of them.

Blog Entries
    Ive paid over $12k out of pocket for bespoke wheelchairs over the past decade, so paying out of pocket doesnt bother me too much. However, we're talking about spending thousands instead of hundreds based on avoiding a trip to the doctor. Doesnt make a ton of sense to me, especially considering all we have to do is ask, the "approval process" is done by the doctor's billing/coding staff, not us. All we need to do is ask and wait. Thats worth saving thousands of dollars IMO. I only go out of pocket for items insurance wont cover.

I have another comment about weight. Ive been fiddling around with a SmartDrive for about a week now, and I was initially surprised by how heavy it is for its size. After using it for a bit I couldnt imagine it working well if it were lighter. The weight translates into traction. I'd consider not being too fussed about weight at the expense of too much traction.

Quote Originally Posted by ProPulse View Post
    @oddity
    Sorry for the late response! Thank you for making greatpoints to be considered.
    Our idea was to make a product that reaches as many users as possible, that's why we added off-road. But you are right to say that it can't make the chair off-road! Great point ��
    On your last point about insurance, would you consider buying a product out of pocket to skip the insurance approval process?
    Last edited by Oddity; 07-22-2019 at 11:16 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments