Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Device To Power Manual Wheelchairs

@wheelin 48 December of this year We will launch our Kickstarter in December and ship out in March 2020. We will also be at the Dallas abilities expo in December.

@wheelin 48 @giles88 @NW-Will @nonoise
    I have a quick favor to ask. The team and I want to know how users would list the features in terms of priority. How would you rank the list below? (1 being the most important feature that the device needs to have)

360 Degree Turning
    Off-road capable
    Weight
    Ease of mounting
    Battery life
    Ability to drive up steep inclines
    Braking
    Wireless Joystick Control
    Wired Joystick control

(This question is completely open for anyone else to answer as well. The more, the better!)

Hi Proplus, Turning, weight, ease of mounting, battery life, are important. Off road, up steep inclines, braking, not so much needed. Joystick can be either wired or wireless. I explain below;

360 Degree Turning
    1. I'm not sure why you stated "360", so I'll assume you simply meant "turning". OTOH, if you meant 360, I rarely spin 360, so to me 360 is not needed. The alternative to "turning" is skid by grabbing handrims. Frankly I'm burned out doing that with my hacked throttle driven SD. True joy stick turning would be tops.

Off-road capable
    6. The fact the Proplus has two drive wheels should help propel it over odd terrain, but to be truly off road the wheelchair also has to be off road capable so this is not so important.

Weight
    3. Weight is often dependent on battery life and structural components but weight should be kept as low as possible.

Ease of mounting
    3. People have issues with your closest competitors mounting, yours needs to be easier to mount than it is.

Battery life
    2. Almost tied for number 1 priority. Nobody wants a timed out battery.

7. Climbing will be what it is. Around here the SD limitation is steep slippery wet sidewalks.

Braking
    8. Braking seemed undoable to me and I've never needed additional braking with my hacked SD. Besides it might not be safe getting pulled to a stop from behind the main rear wheels. If the consideration was regenerative braking, I'd abandon it immediately. We like to coast anyway.

Wired Joystick control
    4. I love hardwire. Hardwire is dependable. That said loading and unloading with the wire probably would need a dreaded connection point. I hate connection points. So whatever foolproof, stable method works for you is good to go.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ProPulse View Post
    @wheelin 48 @giles88 @NW-Will @nonoise
    I have a quick favor to ask. The team and I want to know how users would list the features in terms of priority. How would you rank the list below? (1 being the most important feature that the device needs to have)

360 Degree Turning
    Off-road capable
    Weight
    Ease of mounting
    Battery life
    Braking
    Wired Joystick control

(This question is completely open for anyone else to answer as well. The more, the better!)

here all good points i like portability offroad and wireless joystick ease of mounting the offroad capabilities

how doesit mount to the chair can it be taken on and off easily when out and about
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Blog Entries
    Battery life and ease of use, equally top priority. The rest is equally medium important. Except hills and off road. Has to do hills else it won't compete in the market, so medium-high, and a device like this can't, alone, make a chair off road capable, so that's low.

You didn't mention it, but out of pocket cost is mostly irrelevant, also, since 95+% of us have insurance and medically qualify for coverage on a device like this. Our co-pay is the same for all devices coded the same so we choose based on functionality, not price, by and large. Scant few of us go out of pocket on stuff we already medically qualify for coverage to get.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

If this buggy is fast (and I hope it it!) deceleration is an issue!
    Nonoise kind of left this open. The machine should have a very short "coast down" or, as my ZX-1, a braking function.
    In any case, when you can go 6?mph, it is important to be able to stop quickly if you fuck up! But it's also incumbent on the engineers to support slow decel as well.

Regarding attachment: seems to me a simple latching setup with two cutouts, U shaped with whatever radius your axle tube has would be easy to implement and easy to latch/un-latch.
    Just maneuver the latch up against your axle and pus it down to latch. A small L shaped appurtenance could be used to unlatch and lift off in one motion.
    The only possible issue being that it might slide laterally in use. This hasn't proved an issue on the ZX-1. If it was, a pair of split shaft collars could be mounted on the axle and left on.

Here's a quick sketch. Hindsight is 20:20 (why it's best to draw stuff before making it)
    Forget the pair of hairsprings on the two latches; substitute a coaxial coil spring on the latch-pull between the cross-piece and the rod connecting the latches.
    Perhaps refine the interface of the axle tube and the latching device to ensure it doesn't unlatch under unusual loads or angles. I put the long faces in back to make it easy to find and attach to the WC axle, but the thrust face is on the shorter part; perhaps ovalize it a little so the drive-force will socket it and not load the latch-arm (actually, I think this is not at all a possible problem, I get paranoid sometimes) Certainly the axis of the "U"s must be perpendicular to a line form it to the center of the machines axles ensuring that drive/decel force exerts minimal force that tries to un-couple the thing!!

Also, I drew it with the handle forward; the handle should be reversed to make it easier to reach and manipulate.

PS: I designed this with a separation of the two sides with the understanding that your two wheeled system torque steers the chair (hence the 360* capability) and requires a robust base to the axle. Perhaps the base should be even wider than illustrated.
    EDITED: I thought about the 360* turning. (I don't think it works ) If you are running two motors and reversing one, spinning around IMO won't wok unless the virtual "axle" of the machine tires is directly below the WC axle. Any other geometry and it has to slide the WC tires in order to follow it's own arc; that won't happen. Sorry-I can't turn off the big letters!

Which make me wonder. I've assumed you're running a pair of motors so you can have some steering function. Are you?
    I don't think such an arrangement would even steer larger arcs very well for the same reasons.

PPS: not a good latch for quads! Requires the ability to squeeze the handle and latch-handle together to load it. Also, I guess, might be difficult for quads to pull up on latch release but IMO doable.
    Would be nice if the device latched itself when pushed down over the axle.
    I'm thinking
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-12-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

???? how to delete a post?

still not seeing how to delete a post.
    I can delete most of it but it insists oo away!n a minimum of characters and won't let all go away.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    ???? how to delete a post?
    Cant. Edit it down to "......." and save it like that.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

im suposed to be going for a smartdrive eval i wonder if i should wait till this comes out wish yall had a better video
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Phil wrote:
    "If you are running two motors and reversing one, spinning around IMO won't wok unless the virtual "axle" of the machine tires is directly below the WC axle."

Phil is smart. I agree with what he said.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.