Thread: wound care supplies

wound care supplies

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has any wound care supplies. My sons wound care doctor had a stroke and they have a doctor covering for him. My sons appointment was pushed out for a month and they claim they can't order him any supplies until he sees the new doctor. If his wounds get worse in the next month, then its me that has to worry. I looked online and these supplies are so expensive. At any rate, he needs Mepilex gentle border, 6x6 if possible, Aquacel AG and Iodosorb.
    If anyone has some to sell at a reasonable price, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    DavesMom, Diane

Quote Originally Posted by DavesMom View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has any wound care supplies. My sons wound care doctor had a stroke and they have a doctor covering for him. My sons appointment was pushed out for a month and they claim they can't order him any supplies until he sees the new doctor. If his wounds get worse in the next month, then its me that has to worry. I looked online and these supplies are so expensive. At any rate, he needs Mepilex gentle border, 6x6 if possible, Aquacel AG and Iodosorb.
    If anyone has some to sell at a reasonable price, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    DavesMom, Diane
    First, I would ask to speak to the new doctor, an on call doctor who would step in when the other physician was out of the office (before the stroke), or a physicians assistant (PA). If your son has been getting regular prescriptions for these supplies there should be some way to bridge the gap in care do to no fault of your son. Yes, these products can be expensive to pay for out of pocket, but Amazon does have some pretty good prices on these product, offer free shipping and may even have some less expensive alternatives to check into.

Meanwhile, if all fails, make sure you son is staying off of these pressures sores completely. This will go a long way in helping healing.

Thanks gjnl,
    According to them, the new doctor can't write a script for them because David hasn't seen him yet. It makes no sense to me either. It is frustrating because the wounds are finally doing so much better but without supplies, I am afraid they will get worse.

Have you talked to the pharmacy/supplier who had been providing your supplies about this situation? They pharmacist has the power to extend the current prescription in an emergency, until you can see the new physician and get their prescription.

Frankly, I would be looking at a different wound care practice/clinic if they are so unwilling to help you with this transition, which is no fault of yours or your son's.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hi KLD,
    Sadly, the wound care doctor, who is the medical director of wound care, passed away July 4th. I spoke to the nurse yesterday and they have no provider to take over now. Things will be very different now until they find a doctor who will work there more than one day.

If you still need supplies I have some extra stuff . Don’t have bandages to spare but I have a lot of other wound care product that will help I can send free

I know you asked about getting wound care supplies - just wondering if your son is a wheelchair user who is able to get out to see another doctor at a clinic or office?
    Also, it's my understanding that a nurse practitioner is able to write prescriptions. I guess my overall feeling is that I would be totally disappointed/angry about this level of response from the wound care place, in spite of their terrible loss. I wonder if you would be willing to call them again and again to try to get what you need. I don't see any reason why a fill-in doctor can't pick up and review your son's file and phone in a prescription to continue care.
    It's ok for you to be a pest in a situation like this.

Triumph,
    i don’t understand it either. My son had surgery yesterday and his surgeon called the wound center about another patient and they told him they have no doctor. I think about these poor people who don’t have a support system like this and are doing without. My worry was my sons wounds getting worse. If there was anything closer I would definitely take him but there isn’t. I am very thankful for the support my David received on here.

Jeramie,
    Thank you so much for the offer. Someone has kindly helped out and I don’t want to take what someone else could use. If I run into a jam with no doctor for a while, I will definitely give a shout out again. Your kindness is appreciated.