Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCI stink

I know you've mentioned your colostomy bag stinking before. I use a closed one-piece by Holister and it is odor-free 95% of the time. Oddly, I tried a Coloplast bag recently and the odor was immediately noticeable. So your bag type may play a roll. Before the Holister I also took Devrom daily to help with odor, and took a daily pro-biotic and enzyeme to help with digestion. Just some tips on what I do.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thank you everyone. I think they're looking for a reason and this is just something to exploit to make me feel uncomfortable/self-conscious and leave. It wasn't a problem until several months ago and nothing changed with my routines. The harder I try to remedy it the more sprays of perfume take place and strong cups of coffee get made and are left to sit by my office without being consumed.
    Last edited by Patton57; 06-30-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Sounds like you work in a very hostile work environment. Harassment like this over your disability is no more acceptable than it would be over your sexual orientation or race. Is there not an HR department in your workplace/employer? I would be considering an EEO complaint. You may be giving these "colleagues" way too much power over your career.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Thank you everyone. I think they're looking for a reason and this is just something to exploit to make me feel uncomfortable/self-conscious and leave. It wasn't a problem until several months ago and nothing changed with my routines. The harder I try to remedy it the more sprays of perfume take place and strong cups of coffee get made and are left to sit by my office without being consumed.
    I think you're right about the co-workers. I have had problems with some co-workers in the past but not with odor but with jealousy because the boss is more lenient with me and i throw the bad guys under the so called bus. And if you're not in their click you are on the outside and if the leader wants you out they all play along.
    The problem they don't like about me is. I might be slow, but I still out work them. Which points out how much time they waste on their cell phone and playing games that has nothing to do with work.
    If you don't have the boss on your side you are in real problems. Best of luck!

I would agree with KLD. I would go to HR. This harassment is unacceptable, anywhere.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My (very strong) suspicion is that this is straight up harassment and you need to go to HR or legal. You are being bullied. Even if you are term, temporary, freelance or contract, you have protection under the law and lines are being crossed. Your employer has liability for that.

I worked in the private sector in a largely freelance IT environment for a while, and we had a colleague whose personal hygiene was markedly impaired, which was bc of a (very) poorly managed invisible disability. The manager took it to HR, who worked with the colleague and external resources confidentially to manage it and any editorial behavior/commentary/harassment on the part of the rest of the staff was firmly crushed, to the point of folks getting their contracts termed early.

I urge you to go to HR first and then Legal, if need be. This is a hostile workplace and is not tolerated under the law, private sector or public.
    ckf

I bathe shower 5 days a week on weekend I use no rinse it washes you good and no rising need like soap I change my bags some times several times a day . I change cover on cushion every week wash cushion down and let it air use another

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I urge you to go to HR first and then Legal, if need be. This is a hostile workplace and is not tolerated under the law, private sector or public.
    ckf
    I went to the Ethics Officer and reported other-like behavior (worse than this treatment), it stopped immediately and then re-emerged as these new actions.

Report it again.

(KLD)