Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCI stink

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SCI stink

RDF used to post here and say he took a shower everyday before work to get rid of his SCI stink. I can't pull off a shower a day but can every other day. Once peer's at work associate an odor with you they start expecting it and sniff until they pick up the scent. I have a colostomy and use a legbag as well. Any tips, dietary, cleaning or otherwise you can pass along?

Currently, I:
    - change out cushion and cover every 2 weeks
    - shower every other day and sponge off in between
    - cut protein in diet down significanlty
    - make sure I have no open wounds
    - keep legbag clean and drink mostly water
    - change colostomy bag daily

I'm doing my best but it isn't working (at least by my coworkers measure)! A boss recommended indirectly that I work remotely (pushed for me to take another job that was a work from home role). I have a very good job in a self-governing profession, so the ADA and rights of any kind are out the window, if they deem so.
    Last edited by Patton57; 06-30-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Even if you can't bathe daily, you really should do at least a P&P (pits and peri area) wash daily. You can do this with a basin, soap, and washcloth, or use bath wipes (designed for use in the hospital or for travel).

Do you use a good deodorant daily after washing?

Do you use colostomy bags with a charcoal filtered vent for gas?

How do you clean your leg bag? How often?

Do you have an indwelling catheter? SP? Urethral? External condom catheters?

I would caution you against cutting your protein intake too severely. This can lead to skin breakdown and muscle wasting.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Even if you can't bathe daily, you really should do at least a P&P (pits and peri area) wash daily. You can do this with a basin, soap, and washcloth, or use bath wipes (designed for use in the hospital or for travel).

Do you use a good deodorant daily after washing?

Do you use colostomy bags with a charcoal filtered vent for gas?

How do you clean your leg bag? How often?

Do you have an indwelling catheter? SP? Urethral? External condom catheters?

I would caution you against cutting your protein intake too severely. This can lead to skin breakdown and muscle wasting.

(KLD)
    Check on pits and peri

Use fresh unscented Old Spice

urolox, 30 minute daily soak of leg bag

condom cath, do a morning cath between condom cath daily change

protein 80-90g per day

shower chair makes it hard to wash under carriage directly (more of a rinse)... perhaps some monkey butt?

changes bed linens once a week

work with very persnickety people

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Check on pits and peri

Use fresh unscented Old Spice

urolox, 30 minute daily soak of leg bag

condom cath, do a morning cath between condom cath daily change

protein 80-90g per day

shower chair makes it hard to wash under carriage directly (more of a rinse)... perhaps some monkey butt?

changes bed linens once a week

work with very persnickety people
    Is that the Urolux Appliance Cleaner by Urocare? Years ago, I used this cleaner for the latex leg bags. After a while, the latex took on a funky smell. I don't use latex bags or the cleaner any more, and I don't know what the current product smells like. The website indicates it has a "Fresh Lemon Scent." But, after a while, maybe that smell becomes cloying too.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Is that the Urolux Appliance Cleaner by Urocare? Years ago, I used this cleaner for the latex leg bags. After a while, the latex took on a funky smell. I don't use latex bags or the cleaner any more, and I don't know what the current product smells like. The website indicates it has a "Fresh Lemon Scent." But, after a while, maybe that smell becomes cloying too.
    Yes, on the Urocare. It is effective but has a disinfectant smell but not offensive. I think the problem is the peole I work with have caught on to the source of abnormal odors. I can't smell these odors and since the odor is foreign to others it doesn't belong in their world. In this world of bed, bath and beyond and spices and herbs people tailor their environments to what they like.

At times I do feel like a living SCI corpse. I wonder if a more neutral type diet would help.

Try using 10% bleach solution for cleaning leg bag. No need to soak. Rinse with fresh tap water & shake well for 10 second, 2X. Then fill will bleach solution, shake for 30 sec., drain and fold in clean towel to dry.

If you are using a latex leg bag, they do tend to hold odors more than a vinyl. Perhaps switch bags.

Include your groin, genitals, and peri-anal area in daily washing. I assume you are washing your penis well when changing your external daily?

How about your colostomy bag as above?

I am confused about your statement above:
    I have a very good job in a self-governing profession, so the ADA and rights of any kind are out the window, if they deem so.
    What do mean by this?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Try using 10% bleach solution for cleaning leg bag. No need to soak. Rinse with fresh tap water & shake well for 10 second, 2X. Then fill will bleach solution, shake for 30 sec., drain and fold in clean towel to dry.

If you are using a latex leg bag, they do tend to hold odors more than a vinyl. Perhaps switch bags.

Include your groin, genitals, and peri-anal area in daily washing. I assume you are washing your penis well when changing your external daily?

How about your colostomy bag as above?

I am confused about your statement above:

What do mean by this?

(KLD)
    Self-governing professions police themselves. If you challenge them or their norms they blacklist you and no more good job or career. They squash you. Yes, they do exist.

There is no one to turn them into except themselves.

I use half and half Dawn and beta-dine to wash leg bag. Don't check your parts for odor, wash them. I'm and old guy and I have my kids and grand kids on "old guy" smell watch. You can't smell yourself accurately.
    Now a real weird secret. Put some Pine sol on a small rag and throw it under your desk each day. I volunteer in the national forest. As part of the job I clean the out houses. We (the volunteers) have done an experiment. We clean the out houses thoroughly, soap and water and a bleach spray down. People will complain about smell. We throw a piece of rag with Pine sol under the back of the toilet and no complaints. We've even done minimal cleaning (just sweeping) and put the Pine sol in there, no complaints. Weird.

The French whore solution (perfume over stink) isn't going to cut it.

yah i bath daily, no way i couldnt. especially in summer. i bleach/wash my cushions weekly too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer