Thread: Collagen wound care products

Collagen wound care products

Did you try collagen protein powder? Did it help with wound healing?

Quote Originally Posted by marber View Post
    Did you try collagen protein powder? Did it help with wound healing?
    We are talking about oral supplements of protein powder here, not a product applied to the wound.

It would be helpful if you would complete your profile so we can put your comments in better context. Thanks.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I had a stage 2 break down on my heal. Doc said keep it covered with that thin skin stuff (forgot the real name) or band aid along with something to keep it moist. I didn't follow her instructions and mostly kept it open/uncovered. This resulted in a hard tender layer that after 6 months is finally almost gone.
    This may not apply to you but I have never heard of a powder on any wound. My experience only, your choices are yours only and not influenced by my experiences shared.

Gearhead the dressing your Doctor is talking about is Puracol or I use Puracol Ag. Good stuff finally what healed closed in heal my wound. You cut it to the size of your wound after getting it moist with saline.

There are a number of different tissue matrix wound products in both sheets and powder. They do need to be kept moist (and covered) to work properly, as fibroblasts which are the cells that heal a wound will die if they dry out. The same goes for denatured collagen dressings such as Promogran™ or Puracol.

Native animal or human sourced collagen matrix is a better product than denatured collagen products, often gels, which are usually combined into a dressing such as Promogran™

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3601889/

Some native collagen dressings that I have used extensively include Oasis™ (pig small intestinal submucosa), and MatriStem? (sheet) and MicroMatrix? (powder) which is made from pig bladder submucosa. The latter can be sprinkled on a wound, or dissolved in water and injected into the surface of the wound tissue, including tracts and even flaps.

I am going to separate this thread into the original discussion of protein supplements and the discussion of collagen dressings. Two totally different topics.

(KLD)

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I had a stage 2 break down on my heal. Doc said keep it covered with that thin skin stuff (forgot the real name) or band aid along with something to keep it moist. I didn't follow her instructions and mostly kept it open/uncovered. This resulted in a hard tender layer that after 6 months is finally almost gone.
    All wounds will heal better if kept covered and moist.

(KLD)

Amen to that, KLD!

ckf

I've used Fibracol Plus that is collagen but it has to have a secondary dressing over it. If wound is dry doc said wet with sterile saline.
    Also I like this better is Polymem. It's like a foam that absorbs any drainage, has something in it helps clean wound to lessen debridement and suppose help if you feel pain at site, too.
    Any, both those suppose to and seems to speed healing time.
    The Polymen has a backing to it so don't need a nonstick pad over it and if small wound they come with tape like a bandaid(soak to get off, if you can cause my skin can't take tape very well, so usually use conban over dressings). Used those on ulcers on toes before.